Chapter 5 | Secrets

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

I went and sat down beside Steve, and watched whatever was on the television. He glanced at me.
"Sorry for getting cake all over you." he said, though it was muffled since his mouth was a little full. I chuckled, and stole a bit of his cake.
"It's okay." I said, eating the little pinch. He looked into my eyes, and apparently got lost in them. He was softly smiling. "Steve?" I asked. He snapped out of his daze.
"Hm?"
"You good?"
"Oh, yeah. Just staring out into space." I knew he was lying. He was looking straight into my eyes, and I knew the look. It was an admiring look. I used to get those a lot back in Fayetteville. Then I remembered...Fayetteville. My mom must be worried sick about me. Either that or she's too busy fighting with Dad again. I decided to just forget about it. I sat there, actually staring off into space. But I guess I was looking in Steve's direction. "Earth to Juliana." he said, waving his hand in my face.
"Huh?"
"Is everything okay?" he asked me. I just nodded, and looked away. Johnny walked in the living room. I guess he had been in a room in the back. Sodapop came out right after him. He had changed clothes. Johnny stood in front of me and held his arms out. I guess he wanted me to hug him. I stood up and wrapped my arms around him, but then he reached up.
"Johnny, you're 16 years old, she's not gonna carry you." Steve remarked. Johnny was awful small for a 16 year old. I didn't want to make him sad though, so I picked him up. He was pretty light too. Though I wondered why he wanted me to carry him. He didn't know me at all.
"Johnnycake, leave Jill alone." Ponyboy said.
"No, he's okay." I assured him as I pet Johnny's hair. "He's just a little baby, aren't you, Johnny?" Johnny nodded, not raising his head up from the crook of my neck. I then looked over to Sodapop. "How come you changed?"
"Oh, I have to work the night shift."
"Maybe I could go with you? I've got nothing else to do. Unless Ponyboy wants to do something."
"I was planning on just cleaning my room." Ponyboy said.
"Then I guess I'm going with you two. Johnny, do you wanna come with me?" I asked. Johnny nodded again, and all 4 of us started to leave. Darry quickly went to the living room.
"Juliana." he called.
"Yeah?"
"Make sure you have your gun."
"Alright." I said as I grabbed it from my bag, and we exited the house. I saw Steve taking quick glances at me out of the corner of my eye. I tried not to pay him any attention. Johnny looked up at me.
"You're not gonna hurt me, are you?" he asked. I noticed the scar on his face.
"What? Of course not! Why would I hurt you??"
"A lot of strangers do that..."
"Don't worry, buddy. I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm gonna keep you safe, if anything." I assured him. "If you don't mind me asking...where'd that scar come from?"
"I got beat up by a bunch of Socs."
"He almost died." Steve added.
"Steve." Sodapop muttered. "If he wanted her to know that, he'd tell her."
"It's okay." Johnny said. "It's not that important."
"Well, if they try to get you again, I'll make sure they won't have the chance to lay a hand on you. Alright?"
"Alright." Johnny said, with a smile on his face.
"Here, get down for a second." I said, starting to put him on the ground. Luckily, he didn't throw a fit or try to stay up. I walked in front of him, though I was walking backwards, so I could face him. "This," I held up my gun, "is gonna keep you safe from all harm. As long as it's in my possession, it will only be used for defense."
"You promise?" he asked. Right that second I knew he'd been hurt. Not just physically, but emotionally.
"I promise." I assured him. Though there were secrets I then promised myself I wouldn't tell him. Secrets that don't need to be out. Bad secrets.