Chapter 16 | Trust

🔧Steve's POV🔧

I heard the roar of an engine, and a gray car speed off. Oh shit. I thought. It was Juliana. She saw what was going on through the window, but it wasn't at all what it seemed. I wasn't flirting with that girl. This is how it went down:

Soda and I were just talking while it wasn't busy, and we saw a Cadillac pull up by the gas pumps. A girl came out, strawberry blonde hair, fairly pale, around maybe 5'5. I had seen her somewhere, but I never knew her name. Anyway, she came inside the store, and surprisingly she started flirting with me. I figured she would've gone for Soda, but no, she went for me. Be nice. I told myself. Don't be rude. Though I was wanting to tell her that I was happily in a relationship, but she would not stop talking for a second to let me speak, so I just faked a smile and acted civilly. My face started to get hot, as I started to feel bad, and wondered what Jill would think if she saw this. The thought of it scared me. That was why my face was a little pink. Once I saw her car speed off, I knew I messed up.

"Damn it, no!" I yelled and ran out of there. I got in my car and started to follow her. I had seen the look Soda was giving me, and I just told myself I'd explain it to him later. Explaining it to Jilly was more important to me. I had followed her all the way back to the Curtis house, but she was already inside by the time I got there. She didn't lock the front door, so I just ran in. "Babe??" I called. I could hear sobs coming from hers and Soda's room. I wanted to break down right there. Hearing her cry killed me, but I knew I'd have to give her an explanation.

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

The second I got home, I locked myself in my room and started crying on the side of the bed that wasn't near the door. I wasn't aware that Steve had followed me until I heard him call for me.
"Babe??" he called. I gave myself up instantly, unintentionally. My sobs wouldn't stop. He knocked on the door, pretty hard. "Baby, please, open the door," he begged.
"Go away. I don't wanna see you again." I said, but I was lying. I did want to see him, even if I was heartbroken.
"Juliana, just hear me out, please..." I didn't reply to him then. "Don't make me kick down the door." His tone never changed. It was pitiful. I could hear his urge to cry in his voice. I got up and went to open the door before he broke it. "Please," he said before I opened it. My eyes were puffy and red, and tears were still running down my face. He had the saddest look on his face.
"You wanted me to hear you out..so explain yourself," I said.
"Can I come in?" he asked. I didn't want to for a minute, but I ended up letting him in anyway. We sat on the bed, maybe a foot apart, and he started to tell me what happened.
Once he finished explaining himself, I was honestly relieved.
"So you weren't trying to let her flirt with you?" I asked.
"No, of course not! I wouldn't intentionally do something that would upset you. I really love you, Jill. I'm always going to love you. I'd never betray you."
"You promise?" I didn't know if I could believe that. Not because of him, but because of all the other times I've been told that.
"I promise, baby. I promise on my life," he said. He held his arms out. hoping I'd hug him, which I did. I didn't really hug him. I kind of tackled him into a hug. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me tight. "I love you, Juliana."
"I love you too, Steve." I returned. He smiled and started showering me with kisses, making me giggle. "Stop it!" I said between giggles.
"Never!" Steve opposed, laying down and pulling me on top of him. I started wiggling, trying to get him to stop, and he eventually backed down. "Okay, fine, I'll stop."
"Thaaank youuuu."
"Yeah, yeah," Steve said sarcastically, but he was still smiling. At first, I thought I would never be able to believe him after what I saw, but then, I knew I could trust him with my life. I could trust him to protect me and never hurt me. I could trust him to keep his promises.