Chapter 13 | Heartache

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

It was three days until I was able to go home. The Curtis house, I mean. Mom went back to Arkansas the day before I got out of the hospital, after she finally processed the fact that I wasn't going with her. While I was in the hospital, a lot happened. Steve and I finally decided to get together, Dally and I bonded for the first time since we met. Darry started to spoil me, getting me everything I said I wanted, as long as he was able to. I had to watch Two-Bit teach Pony to fight, Johnny stayed with me the whole three days I was in the hospital, wanting to keep me company and make sure I wasn't alone, Soda gave me ten million stuffed animals(not really. It was more like five or six). I learned more about Darry, Soda, and Pony's parents, learned more about the whole gang's past lives, told them more about mine, trying to mention my dad as little as possible, because he was still a very sensitive topic. Peter never left for some reason. I was still really mad at him for ratting me out. I didn't want anyone from home knowing where I was, and he ruined it.

Anyway, I was in the living room, being babied by Darry, as I had been the past few days, when there was a knock on the door. Again. There were several kids from school coming to see how I was doing. Darry wouldn't let me get up, so he answered it. Soda was at work, and Pony was at the library with a friend studying, so it was just me and Darry. He opened the door, and I saw an expression in his eyes that showed he was half tempted to shut it right back. Then I heard the voice. That one familiar voice.
"Can I talk to Juliana?" It was Peter. Darry looked at me. I sighed, before saying, "Let him in." Darry hesitantly stepped aside, and Peter walked in the house. His eyes went to me in an instant.
"Puede darnos un minuto, por favor?[Can you give us a minute, please?]" I asked Darry. The gang had picked up a little Spanish since I arrived. He nodded, and left the room. Peter sat down next to me, kind of awkwardly if you ask me. It was silent for a hot minute, before Peter finally said something.
"Jill, I'm sorry, I really am."
"Why did you tell her?? None of this would've happened! Why did you follow me in the first place?!"
"I was worried, Juliana! I didn't want anything bad happening to you because I love you! You're my best friend. I would die if you got hurt or killed knowing I could've prevented it somehow. I'm sorry for telling your mom, and I'm sorry about your dad. I never meant for any of this to happen." I still couldn't stand when anyone mentioned my dad.
"Don't talk about him." I muttered. He sighed, and just stopped talking overall. I looked to him angrily for a second, but softened up, and hugged him almost immediately. "I love you too, Peter." I said. I felt his cheek go against mine. He was smiling. I was glad to have my childhood best friend back, even if I was mad at him. He's been there for me through thick and thin. He helped me against my abusive ex. Without Peter, I probably wouldn't have made it. We hugged for maybe 2 minutes, but then Darry interrupted.
"I think it's about time Peter goes home, or wherever he's staying." he said. I wanted to start whining and oppose, but I knew Darry wouldn't give in.
"Ooookaaaay." I said. "Byyyeee Peeterrrr."
"Bye, Jilly." Peter said, chuckling. He ruffled my hair and left without another word. I looked to Darry.
"Why'd you make him leaveee?" I whined.
"Because if Steve comes in and sees that, he's gonna throw a fit, and I'm not gonna deal with it. Okay?" He had a valid point and I knew it.
"Fiiiiiine." Before I knew it, Steve and Two-Bit were busting down the door, hooting and hollering. They were as energetic as ever. "Stevieee!!" I yelled excitedly. After being babied the past few days, I was kind of starting to act more baby-like. Steve smiled, and plopped down beside me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his lap.
"Hi, baby. Did you miss me?" he asked, looking at me. God, he was cute. It seemed like he was the only person who could genuinely make me giggle.
"Uh huh. Did you miss me?"
"Of course I did."
"Don't ruin my appetite before I even eat." Two-Bit complained. Steve and I looked at him.
"You'll feel the excitement when you get a girlfriend." Steve told him. Two-Bit just rolled his eyes and went to the kitchen. Steve and I still haven't kissed yet, which trust me, I've wanted to. Several times. He held me tight, doing anything he could to make me smile. I may have seemed happy on the outside, but on the inside I was dying. I couldn't stop thinking about my dad. I missed him. I missed him a lot. But, I guess I had to deal with the heartache.