Chapter 11 | Unbelievable

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

It was ten a.m., Advanced English for me and Steve. After that morning, I thought nothing would make that day worse. Boy, I was wrong. 30 minutes into the class, him and I heard a faint yelp. Nobody else heard it, but we sure did. We quickly exchanged looks, and looked at the teacher, who's back was turned. I looked at him.
"3...2...1...go." I mouthed, and we both slowly got up and snuck out. We were in the back of the class, near the door, so it wasn't hard. Though we knew Ms. McCarthy would notice sooner or later. We looked around the halls, and quickly saw a bunch of Socs, holding Ponyboy against a locker, beating him. We ran over, and pulled them off.
"Leave him alone!" Steve yelled, kicking one Soc in the stomach when he tried to attack him. I signaled for Ponyboy to stay back, while Steve and I fought them off. It took a couple bloody noses and dislocated shoulders, along with a knocked out tooth and broken wrist to make them leave, and we quickly tended to Pony.
"Are you okay??" I asked, examining him to make sure nothing was broken. He was bruised up and a little bloody, but other than that he looked alright.
"Yeah." Pony said. "I wanna go home."
"I know, baby." I called a lot of kids younger than me that I cared about "baby", so it wasn't out of the ordinary when I called Pony or Johnny that. "But we have to stay here until the day's over." Then, what I expected happened.
"What are you two doing out of the room??" Ms. McCarthy hollered from the doorway, but then she saw Pony, and rushed over. "What happened???"
"A bunch of guys were beating him up, and when Steve and I heard him yelp, we ran out to help him." I said. She sighed, and laid off of us.
"Has this happened before?" she asked Pony. He nodded, and brought his knees up to his chest. She then looked at me. "Do you know who his guardian is?"
"Yeah, but he's at work. I live with them." I informed her.
"Alright. I'll give you guys permission to leave just this once, and I'll tell a counselor or the principal about this bullying. Do you know who it was?"
"It looked like Bob Sheldon and Randy Adderson were part of it." Steve said. Pony nodded, confirming that it was.
"Thank you. Go on. You have a way to get home, right?"
"Yes, ma'am." I said, though our only way home was walking, since Steve didn't feel like bringing his car, and I didn't feel like bringing mine.
"Can Two-Bit Mathews come with us?" Steve asked, knowing she knew who Two was. "Since he's over 18." She looked like she was going to oppose for a second, but she just whispered "yes", and went to get him from his classroom. He was a grade above us, but he was just in another hall. We helped Pony up, and went to wait by the staircase.
"I'm gonna kill them." Steve muttered under his breath. I looked over at him.
"Steve. You can't say that in a school building!" I said. He looked down.
"Sorry." he mumbled. I just sighed, and watched as Two-Bit came speed walking down the hall.
"Pony!!" he exclaimed. "Holy shit, what happened to you?!" Ms. McCarthy had gone back into the classroom before he said that, so she didn't hear him.
"The Socs happened." Pony told him. He was starting to tear up.
"Come on. We're going to the DX." Two said, leading us downstairs. My hatred for that day only grew because of that. I was already planning revenge. Steve and I kept exchanging looks, both of us furious.

It took around twenty minutes to get to the DX from school. Soda was inside working the counter, and when we walked in, he was confused, but then he saw Pony and instantly jumped over the counter.
"Ponyboy!! Are you alright? What happened? Why aren't you in school?" he kept asking, but Pony cut him off.
"I got jumped in the hallway. It's no big deal."
"No big deal?? Darry'll flip! We gotta get you cleaned up. Come on." Soda hurriedly pushed Pony to the small room behind the counter, and started to clean him up with the first aid kit. I hopped up and sat on the counter, swinging my legs. I put my hands on the top of my head, and groaned in frustration.
"This is the worst day of my life. Other than the day I was born." I muttered.
"Hey, don't say that." Steve chimed in.
"Yeah, we're glad you were born. You make this gang a whole lot better." Two-Bit said.
"Thanks..but all my life's been is an emotional mess. First, I find out Dad was cheating on Mom, with my best friend's mother at that, then I run out on you guys after overhearing Darry yelling at Ponyboy, Peter rats to my mother about where I am, and then Ponyboy gets jumped by a bunch of rich douchebags who have their heads crammed up their asses all the time." Little did I know, Pony and Soda were behind me, listening. But, before they could say anything, the bell on the door jingled, and what I saw was unbelievable.