Chapter 20 | Hopeless

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

It's been a week since I'd been kidnapped. No one had found me yet. Evie barely fed me. It was always 2 pieces of bread, and that was it. I got skinnier than usual. She tortured me, constantly beating on me. I had cuts scattered across my body, bruises everywhere. She hadn't broken anything..yet. She wanted to make me miserable, since apparently Steve had turned her down when she tried to steal him back, and told her off. She wanted me to pay for it. She wanted me to suffer because she got her heart broken. I was suffering. I was miserable. In all my years, I never thought I would get kidnapped by my boyfriend's psycho ex. But, something new happens every day, I guess. Evie was in another room, probably thinking about ways to torture me more. Every day while she was out, I've tried to escape, and I've gotten closer every time. My wrists were bruised from yanking on the chains, though. They were aching and pulsating and felt like they were broken, but they weren't.

Evie soon came back, with a steaming kettle of hot water. I mostly just wondered how she got the stove working. She got close to me, as she always did to try to intimidate me.
"How do you still manage to keep me and Steve apart even while I'm holding you hostage?" she asked.
"Because he doesn't love you, ya damn psychopath." I spat. "You can't force someone to love you. But you apparently can't process that." Her face red with anger, she started pouring the hot water on my body. I started screaming in pain, feeling my skin burn through my clothing. I hadn't changed in days. I had nothing to change into. She smirked, the sound of my screams pleasing her ears. She was downright evil. How the hell could she like the sound of screams?? I thought. I guess it was just her persona. Everybody in that town had a bad feeling about her. Evie was notorious for her bad attitude and nasty looks. She hated almost everyone in Tulsa, other than Steve, and a couple greaser girls that I never really knew. I didn't know why. I never really tried to get into it, mostly because her life just didn't spark my interest, and I tried to avoid her at all costs anyway. Her, and the topic of her. I found it unnecessary to talk about my boyfriend's ex, because she never mattered to me. There was nothing that made her matter to me. She didn't exist in my world. That is, of course, until she kidnapped me.
"Now maybe you'll think before you speak to me like that, child." she said. I wanted to hit her so bad. I wanted to show her what it felt like to be beat. I wanted to show her what I was capable of, but I would've had to get out first, which seemed impossible. It felt like I couldn't yank on the chains anymore. I was in too much pain. Evie left again, most likely to continue trying to take Steve back. I knew she had plans, but I didn't know what they were, and in all honesty, I wanted to know. Would she threaten me? Would she threaten him? Would she hurt him in any way? Those questions just added onto the other million thoughts in my head. The voices in my head wouldn't shut up. My heart kept telling me 'break out, break out, break out', while my mind was telling me 'there's no use, you'll never get out'. I didn't know which one to listen to. It was all so confusing to me. I was always told to listen to my heart, so that's what I did. I grabbed the chains, and I started to attempt to rip them out of the wall more. It still tugged on my wrists, though, making the pain worse, and more unbearable. I hated everything about this. I wanted Steve. I wanted Soda. I wanted Darry. I wanted Pony, Johnny, Two-Bit, even Dally. They were my family. I needed them. I wasn't complete without them. I felt like the world was ending. I missed Two-Bit's jokes, I missed Soda's generosity and loyalty, I missed Steve's, well, everything, I missed Darry's comfort and assurance, and his protection, I missed Johnny's constant need for love, I missed Pony's kindness, I missed Dally's wisdom. I missed everything about the gang. I wanted to go home. I wanted to be back in the safety of the Curtis house. But there was no way out. It was hopeless.