Chapter 40 | Gone

⚠️trigger warning: suicide⚠️

🔧Steve's POV🔧

The second I heard the gunshot, I felt Juliana leave my arms and a yelp escaping her. She took the bullet for Soda. I stared at her, a pool of blood growing underneath her, and my eyes slowly went to Evie. I quickly shot towards her, ready to attack her. I didn't care anymore. She most likely just killed the love of my life, and there was no way in hell she was getting away with it. She then bolted before I could reach her, out of the house as fast as she could.

"C-Call an ambulance!!" Soda screamed, holding Juliana. 

"Th-There's no time for that," I said, going down the ladder and making Soda pass her to me. I sprinted to my car and rushed to the hospital. Soda stayed home to keep an eye on the others. I was bawling and going well over the speed limit, not thinking about anyone but Jill.

I reached the hospital in less than 5 minutes, and I ran inside and gave her to the nurses, explaining what happened. She was taken into the ER, and I was forced to go home, as she needed surgery and it would take well over an hour to get everything situated.

Instead of home, I went back to the Curtis' to help Soda, praying Juliana would be okay, and that she wasn't dead.

It was 5 hours until the others woke up, and I still hadn't heard anything from the hospital. I was in the corner of the living room, facing the wall, my face in my knees as I was still bawling.

"W-What happened?" Ponyboy asked.

"Evie came in, knocked you guys out...and she shot Juliana and she might be-"

"Don't fucking say it..." I snapped before Soda could finish his sentence.

"What?!" Dally yelled. "I'm gonna kill that bitch."

"It's n-no use..." I muttered. "It won't help none..."

"Dally, all we can really do is wait to hear something," Johnny said. Not two seconds later, the phone rang, and I shot up and answered before anyone else can get the chance.

"Hello?!"

"Steve Randle?"

"Y-Yes...how is she??"

"I'm sorry. She only has a few minutes left. She's barely responsive. You should come and say your goodbyes while you still can." the nurse told me. My eyes widened and my tears started streaming so fast I thought I was gonna get dehydrated. Everyone was silent.

"Get in the damn car," I said, and quickly left, the others following me. Using the same speed as earlier, I got to the hospital as quickly as I could and ran into Juliana's room without stopping even for a second. I grabbed her hand when I reached her bed, and she looked at me, her eyes opening just the slightest.

"S-Say you'll remember me..." I heard her whisper, barely audible.

"I-I will...I love you..." Before she could say it back, I heard her take her last breath, the beeping on the monitor turning into a flatline. The others started crying their eyes out, but my eyes were too dry then. I stood there, looking at her lifeless body. She was gone. My baby was gone...

I left the room without another word, and went home, leaving the others at the hospital, practically forcing them to walk back. I locked myself in my room, sitting in front of my door contemplating my whole life, questioning what I was going to do without her.

I couldn't live without her. I couldn't. I wasn't going to make it without her in my arms. After half an hour of thinking, I grabbed a gun from my closet, and held it up to my head, cocking it. I didn't know anyone else was here, and the gang busted my door open and saw me.

"Steve, don't!! Please!" Soda pleaded. I looked at him, whispered an "I'm sorry" and told him I loved him...and pulled the trigger, his screams the last thing I could hear. I saw darkness, then a white light. When I went towards it, I could see her. 

She was okay and beautiful as ever, but she looked at me in sadness, knowing what I had just done. But we were together again, and now we couldn't be separated. I needed her. When I said I was going to be with her forever, I meant it. No matter what it took. I was happy again.

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this fanfic! I'm sorry about the intense ending. I just didn't want the story to be too long and needed to save ideas for my next fanfic. And if you're crying right now, don't worry, I am too. I cried writing this. I'm sorryyy!🥺❤️