Chapter 34 | Blinded

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

It's been maybe a week since Steve and I had that little falling out regarding the whole 'almost committing suicide' deal. I had spoken a lot less, to everyone, but I didn't necessarily drift away from them. The less I talked, the more they did. The more silent I was, the more they babied me. Steve kept giving me affection and started telling me everything. Every little thought that entered his mind, he would tell me. I didn't stay in bed all day, and I still ate a normal amount, so I wasn't too out of the ordinary. I stayed around the gang like I normally would, I just didn't talk as much. Honestly, the same images as last week never left my mind. All the really gory thoughts were still there. I didn't speak mostly out of fear that I would just shatter. On the outside, I looked casual, but on the inside, nothing was okay. But there was nothing I could do about it.

One particular day, Steve and I were driving to the DX, nothing unusual, when he started talking about something that seemed to pique my interest.
"My dad finally came home after like, a month." Honestly, I hadn't thought about my own dad much at all since the night Steve opened up to me when he thought I was asleep. I looked at him.
"He did? Did he need something?" I asked. I noticed Steve slightly smiled when I spoke.
"Just someone to yell at, to let out all that built up anger. Turns out he ran off with another broad he met while cruising around, and she ended up leading him on, and after three whole weeks of flirting, and acting like a couple, she said she had already been with someone and couldn't be with him."
"What the hell? Who does that?" I thought that was ridiculous.
"I thought the same thing! Like, why lead someone on if you're in a relationship?? Isn't that cheating?"
"Well, I would think so! What did he say to you?" I wanted to know why his dad chose to yell at him and not a wall or something.
"He just started rantin' about her and kept blamin' me for everything, as if I would've been able to stop him." I felt bad for Steve for having to deal with that.
"I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to be your dad's punching bag, pretty much." Steve smiled and glanced at me. He took my hand, with an assuring grip.
"It's alright. He doesn't really physically hurt me unless he's really riled up. Even then, I can usually handle it. He gives me, like, ten bucks to try to make up for it once he comes to his senses so it's not all that bad. I'm used to it anyway. It's been this way for a few years now. With him always running off to Vegas trying to find a broad to pick up, he usually comes home pissed off because she's done something to him. I kinda feel bad for him but at the same time, I also don't blame them. He acts like Dallas sometimes." he said. I couldn't help but snicker a little.
"Hey, speaking of Dallas, have you noticed he's been acting a little off lately?" I asked, finally in the mood to be annoying as all hell and constantly talk.
"What do you mean?"
"Around Johnny. He'd always act nervous and kinda smile every time Johnny laughed or even spoke. He's never been like that before, not even with me."
"Shit, I don't pay attention to that. I barely pay attention to him. He's always trying to show off in some way, so I've learned to just tune him out and pretend he's not there."
"Well, he hasn't shown off at all the past few days. He's been oddly...civil. Dally's never civil. But for some reason, it's always when he's around Johnny, he acts like he's actually human. He doesn't brag about banging some chick, he doesn't cuss as much, he isn't inappropriate, he isn't rude, is that not odd?" Steve was silent for a moment.
"Now that I think about it...you're right. He hasn't been acting like, well, him. You think we should spy on them tonight?" That got me a little excited.
"Hell yeah! Let's do this." I said, and put my sunglasses over my eyes dramatically. Steve had caught it out of the corner of his eye and started laughing.
"You're crazy," he said and glanced at me. "But you're cute and I love you, so I'll accept your craziness."
"I love you more!" I giggled.
"Oh my God, we're not doing that. It'll turn into a neverending war," he said. "And quit being so damn cute. Actually, no, never stop being cute. I love it." He did this a lot, and I found it quite funny. I leaned on his arm, not letting go of his hand, but we turned into the DX shortly after, so I wasn't like that for long. Once he parked and turned off the car, he turned to me and pressed his soft lips against mine. He tasted like chocolate and Coke. I couldn't get enough of it, but he sadly had to pull away after a few seconds, because he had a job to do. "I love you, princess," he whispered as he tucked my hair behind my ear. I loved it when he did that.
"I love you too," I whispered back, happy as can be. When we went inside, Soda looked at us, both of us happened to be smiling, and he smiled himself.
"You finally got her to talk, huh?" he asked, leaning against the counter.
"How'd you know?" I asked in return, hopping on the countertop.
"Well, you're both smiling. That's enough evidence for me."
"Man, you're smart.....sometimes."
"Sometimes?" Soda asked, seeming offended. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box if you know what I mean.
"Sometimes." Steve agreed with me. He then had to quickly go outside to tend to someone who brought a car in for him to fix. I know it was for him to fix because it certainly didn't look like it was running right. I talked to Soda for a moment before seeing out of the corner of my eye that it was one of the Soc girls from school. Not the one that was flirting with Steve a couple of months ago, but one of her friends. I hoped I didn't have to keep an eye on her, and continued to talk to Soda. But when I looked back towards them, I had seen them at the wrong time. She was kissing him! Or maybe he was kissing her? Or both? I didn't know. All I knew was that some girl had kissed my boyfriend, and it didn't look like he was doing anything to stop her. He had pushed her off right after I looked away, so I didn't see it. Soda tried to stop me as I was rushing out the back door, as he had seen Steve push her off, but I didn't listen. I ran out and started back towards the house, wanting to lock myself in my room like I did when that first girl was flirting with Steve. But I knew he would easily find me there. I decided to run to Two-Bit's house, making sure neither Soda nor Steve saw me. Did he really love me? I thought as tears streamed down my face. Was it all just pretend? I didn't know about Steve's reaction until later that day, so all my mind was filled with were questions about if Steve actually loved me or not. Was everything he said a lie? Was I just too blind to see it?