Chapter 27 | Overprotective

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

It had been 4 more days since I was hospitalized. The doctors had talked about pulling the plug and stopping my life support many times, but Steve would go hysterical and keep them from doing it. He didn't want to give up on me. He would keep me alive as long as possible, sure I would wake up soon. I got closer every day to waking up. I twitched more, my arms could slightly bend. I knew I would come back to the real world soon. I would just have to force it more.

Soda and Steve both were in the room with me, while Darry and Pony were asking the nurses a whole bunch of questions.
"Sing to her." I heard Steve say, "It's what mostly causes the movements." And with that, I heard Soda singing.
"Please lock me away
And don't allow the day
Here inside where I hide
With my loneliness
I don't care what they say I won't stay
In a world without love
Birds sing out of tune
And rain clouds hide the moon
I'm OK, here I'll stay
With my loneliness." I wanted to cry listening, but my body won't let me. My fingers started twitching as they did a few days ago when Steve saw, and I could hear Soda slightly gasp. He kept singing.
"I don't care what they say I won't stay
In a world without love
So I wait and in a while
I will see my true love's smile
She may come, I know not when
When she does I lose
So baby until then
Lock me away
And don't allow the day
Here inside where I hide
With my loneliness." Soon enough, my eyes started twitching, as if they'd open any second. I could move my arm more, and I started to inch it towards them. They started bawling, and both grabbed my hand, Soda's on my palm and Steve's on the back of it. I opened my mouth, and was finally able to whisper an "I'm here" to them. I could hear the sobs, and I heard Darry and Pony's footsteps as well.
"What's going on??" Darry asked.
"She talked.." Soda said.
"What??" Pony started freaking out, in a good way. My eyes slowly opened, and all 4 boys grinned really wide, and tears poured out of their eyes. That's when I felt it. The pain right below my ribcage, where I was shot. I groaned, and my hand went to the area of pain. Darry went to get a nurse, and Pony rushed to the other side of me, and put his hand on top of mine.
"You're okay!! You're really okay!!!" he exclaimed, his voice breaking real bad. I nodded, and looked at Steve.
"Thank you for not giving up on me." I said. He blushed a little.
"What?"
"When the doctor wanted to pull the plug. You stopped him, not wanting to lose hope for me."
"Y-You knew about that??" The nurses had come in pretty quickly with medication and machines to make sure nothing was messed up. I just ignored them.
"I heard everything. I heard you singing last week, and everything after that." I told him. "Did you say they shot you too??"
"Yeah. But the guy was terrible at aiming and he just got my side a little. A chunk of it was torn, but they were able to fix me up pretty quickly and I had gotten discharged the next day, but I stuck around just to make sure you were okay."
"What did the guys say when they found out what happened?"
"We wanted to beat his ass." Soda said. "But where he got hurt too, and he explained every little detail, we knew there was nothing he could've done to stop it, so we let him go....this time."
"This time?" I asked in a slight chuckle.
"This time." Darry repeated for him. "Next time, he'll pay for putting you in that situation." I honestly missed how protective they were over me. Steve just had his focus fully on me.
"I'm so sorry." he said. I was confused then.
"What for?"
"I should've done something. I should've gotten in front of you, or attempted to help you escape. Instead I just sat there and watched him."
"Babe. He moved too quick. Your brain wouldn't have processed what was happening in time for you to react. Besides, you would've died if you had been in front of me."
"Well I would rather die than let you die." I thought that was really sweet. Then I remembered the others.
"Where's Johnny, Dally, and Two-Bit?" I asked. They all exchanged looks as if they were hiding something.
"Dunno. They haven't been around much." Pony said. It sounded believable, but I could always tell when he was lying, and he was. I didn't question it further, and as the nurse was getting done, she told me I would be able to go home the next day, and that I'd have to stay here tonight for observation. Once she left, Darry looked straight at me.
"By the way, you're not leaving the house for a week." he said. I don't know if it was just me, but I thought he was being overprotective. I knew better than to push it, though. So I kept quiet and hoped that week would be over fast. I just wanted to go home.