Chapter 31 | Perfect

🌻Juliana's POV🌻

Later that afternoon, Steve, Soda, and I went back home, well after Pony and Two-Bit got out of school and Dally and Johnny had got there, I had a great idea to cook dinner for the gang, and clean the dishes so Darry didn't have to, just as an appreciation for all he's done for us, for me. I had cleaned the rest of the house and did all the laundry earlier that morning after Darry left and before Steve and Soda took me to work with them. It took an hour, but it was all done and set up. The table was set, the dishes were done, and all we had to do was wait.

Maybe five minutes later, Darry walked through the door, dirty and exhausted, but when he saw the house, he looked relieved.
"Welcome home, Darry!" I said, standing by the fully set table.
"Did you do all this??" he asked. I nodded, smiling. He looked at me for a second, before a wide grin appeared on his face. He went up to me and hugged me, tight. "Thank you so much, Juliana. But what for?"
"To say thank you for being the best brother anyone could ask for." Sure, Darry wasn't my blood brother, but he's still my brother. He treated me like I was family, so I called him my brother, along with Pony and Soda, and they called me their sister. Darry sounded like he was going to cry out of happiness. I felt Pony and Soda join the hug, and soon enough the whole gang wrapped us up in a hug. Once Darry slowly and obviously hesitantly let go, the rest of us did.
"Thank you for doing this. You're an amazing little sister. I'm glad you came around." Darry said, patting my head. "Now let's eat, I'm starving and tired."
After dinner, Darry got in the shower and went to bed early, after telling us goodnight and he loved us. We all sat around and watched movies, but made sure to be quiet enough so we didn't wake Darry up. Steve obviously had me in his lap, and the rest sat on the floor, letting us lay down. Pony eventually went to bed because he had school in the morning, and Two-Bit left not long after. Soda, Dally, and Johnny crashed on the floor, and Steve and I stayed up, just cuddling and watching whatever came on the TV after our last movie in the movie basket.

I turned around and snuggled up against him, my face nuzzled in his chest. He started running his fingers through my hair.
"You okay, baby girl?" he whispered. I nodded, tired. I threw one arm around him, closing my eyes and already starting to fall asleep. "Sweet dreams, beautiful. I love you."
"I love you," I whispered back, as I slipped into a dream, or I thought it was a dream. I heard Steve talking.
"Before I met you, I was about to give up. I thought I had no reason to keep going. Deep down, I knew I had Soda and the gang, but my mind kept telling me otherwise. The day you came around, but before you had gotten here, I planned to end it all that night. I planned to take my own life. But then, I saw those beautiful, sparkling, welcoming blue eyes, and that heartwarming smile. I found my reason to live. I had Evie, sure, but I didn't really have her. I didn't love her like I thought I did earlier in the relationship. I realized she wasn't the one for me, but part of me was afraid of her, afraid to leave her, because she's a psycho, obviously. But then, you and I got closer, and when you ran out of the house when Darry was yelling at Ponyboy, I felt really bad for you, and I knew I needed you. I ended it with Evie, and I went to find you. When I was able to make you smile, when I was able to make you happy, I felt my heart flutter and my stomach turn into nervous knots. You make me feel a certain way, but there isn't a single word that sums it up perfectly, so I'll just describe it the best I can. You make me feel like I'm doing something good with my life, you make me feel like I'm worth something, you bring out the protectiveness in me, you've brought out my happy side, you've made me show my brightest smile and my softest voice, you've brought out my best self, you make me the happiest I've ever been. I don't think I could ever be happier. If I ever lost you, I don't know what I'd do with myself knowing I didn't protect you. You're the love of my life. You're the one I wanna marry. I don't want anyone else. I just want you. I don't just want you, I need you..." he paused for a second. I could still feel his hand running through my hair. "God, you're so perfect. Your long, golden-brown hair, your soft blue eyes, your goofy smile that drives me nuts, the feeling of your hand in mine, the sound of your voice, your giggle, all of it just makes me smile like an idiot. My heart skips a beat every time you're around. I don't think this feeling is ever gonna go away, and in all honesty, I don't want it to. I love the way you make me feel. I love you. I love you more than I could ever love anyone. I love you more than words could explain. And don't worry baby, I was here when you fell asleep, I'll be here when you wake up. I'm not leaving for a second." I realized then that I wasn't fully asleep, and that everything I just heard, he actually said. I slightly smiled, and I listened to him softly hum "You Are My Sunshine" until I eventually actually fell asleep.