It's Okay to Not Be Okay: Episode 5

It's not easy for people to open up, but even more so for our fairy tale writer. She was imprisoned for so long, in her own home and in her own mind, that she now resists anyone who tries to get her out. But our caregiver is starting to get to her, affecting her more than she thought he ever could. All I can say is, Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your walls.

EPISODE 5: "Rapunzel and the cursed castle"

It's pouring rain, and Kang-tae finds Moon-young walking along the road completely drenched and barefoot. He takes off his jacket and wraps it around her (and, gah, so swoony). She falls into him, noting that he's warm and that she's starving. He hesitantly hugs her back, and she smiles to herself.

Kang-tae takes Moon-young to a nearby motel, intending on dropping her off, but the front desk clerk (cameo by Jung Sang-hoon) assumes that they're here together. The clerk even asks if they want any add-ons, like, say, a vibrating bed.

Moon-young is more than happy to stay, but Kang-tae suggests she take a taxi home instead. But when he learns she didn't bring her phone or wallet, and that she meant to walk all the way home, he starts lecturing her to think before she acts. "If something bad happened..." he trails off, and she and the clerk smirk.

Moon-young backs Kang-tae up against the wall and asks why he's getting angry — does he like her? She genuinely wants to know, referring back to what he said about her being incapable of understanding him.

Flustered, Kang-tae turns back to the clerk to pay for the room. Only, he forgot his wallet, having left home on impulse. "It's okay," Moon-young says, patting his shoulder. "It's natural for men to act instinctively."

This leads the couple back to Kang-tae's apartment. Sang-tae is downstairs, with Joo-ri's mom, and Moon-young tells Kang-tae not to call him over. But she doesn't have to worry about that; he doesn't want her around his brother. She teases that she should go fetch him then, and he grabs her back.

He asks her how his expression reads, and ignoring her answers ("handsome," "rude"), he shows her Sang-tae's card set of emotions. He tells her to at least make an effort and memorize the pictures and their meanings. She argues that she's not autistic, and he throws back that she's not a zombie kid either.

He quotes her book, asking if the zombie kid wanted to satiate his hunger or feel someone's warmth. He uses her hand to guide his hand to her cheek and continues, "This is what he truly wanted. He didn't just want to be fed."

Her playfulness gone, she shoves his hand away and says that he's reading too much into the story. The kid was a zombie, with no desires other than filling himself up. She goes into the bathroom to change into dry clothes, and once out of sight, she touches her cheek. "Who's pitying whom?" she wonders.

Kang-tae heads downstairs and finds Sang-tae banging his head on the wall. Kang-tae apologizes for yelling earlier, and seeing that that won't work, he reveals that he got slapped today. So hard that his face turned lumpy.

Sang-tae finally looks at him and, pointing out that he has no lumps, calls him a liar. Sang-tae starts hitting him and giving him a big brother scolding, which is how Kang-tae knows they're good again.

Kang-tae is then greeted by Joo-ri's mom, who urges him to sit down and eat. He asks for some food to go instead and sneaks away to eat with Moon-young. As they do, Moon-young compliments the food, and he asks what she eats at home. "I don't eat anything," she says, "I don't have a mom who'd give me her limbs."

Meanwhile, at OK Hospital, caregiver Cha-yong is nodding off in the hall, when the lights flicker. A dark figure glides past him, humming creepily, and he startles awake, turning his flashlight on to — Joo-ri. He tells Joo-ri what he heard, and she says it must be the "ghost" that patient Sun-hae is always talking about.