It's Okay to Not Be Okay: Episode 13

So few dramas affect me the way It's Okay has affected me. I'm with these characters through their ups and downs, smiling when they smile and crying when they cry. This episode just proves how attached I am to the senseless boy, the emotionless princess, and the ajusshi trapped in a box — because once things go to hell, I'm left in pieces.

EPISODE 13: "The father of the two sisters"

We rewind a bit, to the morning of the photoshoot. Moon-young was at Kang-tae's bedroom door, about to go inside. But she changed her mind and called out to him, saying he could join her and Sang-tae later if he changed his mind. When Kang-tae heard Moon-young walk away, he finally got out of bed and went over to look at the suit she left him.

Kang-tae opened it up, surprised to find the doll Mang-tae in the jacket pocket, along with a note. The note read: "Thanks to the Mang-tae you gave me, I no longer have nightmares. You, Sang-tae, and Mang-tae. I'm so happy that I now have this family. P.S. I want Mang-tae back. He's mine!" With a small sigh, Kang-tae came to a decision and started to get dressed.

At the studio, Kang-tae walks in moments before Moon-young and Sang-tae get their photo taken. Sang-tae announces that his brother has arrived, and both he and Moon-young grin as Kang-tae joins them.

"I was going to photoshop you into the photo if you didn't come," Moon-young tells him (haha). The photographer interrupts the family's little moment and encourages them to stand together and give a big smile.

As the photographer counts down, Kang-tae still looks unsure of his decision. But looking at Sang-tae and then Moon-young smiling, he seems to think he's made the right choice. So on the count of three, he also smiles.

(Let's see that final photo again, just because.)

Meanwhile, Sang-in returns to the apartment building after his trip to Seoul. Seung-jae gives him an update, saying that their plan is working and that Joo-ri is convinced he went on a successful blind date. Oh, you sneaky sneaks.

Ever the romance expert, Seung-jae advises Sang-in not to bring up the blind date until Joo-ri does. But Sang-in being the goof that he is, he goes into Joo-ri's room to greet her and brings up the dang date within a minute of their conversation.

Sang-in goes a little too far, saying the blind date was as beautiful as Song Hye-gyo, and Joo-ri coldly tells him that she needs time alone to study. He leaves, thinking he's ruined everything, when really, she's just thoroughly jealous.

Moon-young and the brothers head to the library to meet up with Seung-jae for research. Seung-jae swoons at Kang-tae in a suit, and Moon-young immediately tells him not to wear suits anymore... because they look uncomfortable. To that, Kang-tae smirks and says that she shouldn't wear her "uncomfortable" dresses then.

While Seung-jae and Sang-tae run off to find some illustration inspo, Kang-tae finds Moon-young's book The Cheerful Dog. Moon-young mentions that she spoke to Jae-soo last night, wanting to know why Kang-tae was mad, and that Jae-soo said he kept everything inside. Just like the cheerful dog.

Since Jae-soo said it was best not to pry, Moon-young's decided not to push Kang-tae from now on. Kang-tae does have something to say, though; he tells her that he's tired of protecting others, that he's been forcing himself to do so because he always thought he had to. But now, rather than work, he wants to think of it as a goal.

"Putting my life on the line to protect my family," Kang-tae says. "Come to think of it, it's actually pretty cool." So he's going to protect his family no matter what, no matter who tries to mess with them.