the things i'd do for you | 15

J A D E W R I G H T

"Ms. Wright, my client has raised quite a concern. My client said she's afraid you've left out some vital information. So, tell me how long have you've truly known Mr. Elliott?"

There is was. Bringing us back to the beginning of Chase and I's story. Lauren wanted to prove I was more biased than anyone else here, she wanted me to be seen as jealous so it would seem like I made everything up. I glanced over at Chase, he shook his head, he didn't want me to answer truthfully, but I was under oath.

"I've known Chase since high school."

"Interesting, and I'm assuming during high school, you guys were just friends?"

"Yes, but we did date for a year."

"Only a year? What happened?"

"He had graduated and moved to North Carolina to pursue racing, and I still had two years left. Long-distance just wasn't ideal for us, so we called it off."

"And you guys met years later when he enrolled Mackenzie at the same school you are teaching at?"

"Yes, I didn't know Chase had a daughter until he came to introduce himself after Mackenzie's first day."

"I can only imagine how shocked you must have been. Did any lost feelings come about seeing him after so many years? I ask this because my client has a right to believe you and Mr. Elliott have recently rekindled your relationship. Is that true?"

There was Lauren's 'Hail Mary' play, her checkmate, her game-winning move. A small part of me thought it was just an empty threat, but I should know better, Lauren just wanted to win and take down anyone who would get in her way.

Chase hadn't taken his eyes off me the entire time. I looked at him, and the things I would do for that man, it was endless. He swept me right off my feet, every damn day he amazed me beyond my wildest dreams. He was everything I needed, I found myself again. Every part of my being that went miss after losing Thomas and our baby, Chase brought everything I thought I lost, back to life. He brought me back to life. I loved him...

"Yes, Mr. Elliott and I are currently in a relationship."

"And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the school has a policy about a teacher and parent relationship?"

"Yes, they do."

"So, you're admitting that you are in a highly inappropriate relationship with your student's parent?"

"Depends on your definition on inappropriate," I replied. "If your thinking I'm showing favoritism, I'm not. I want what's best for all my kids-"

"It's a simple yes or no answer, Ms. Wright."

"Then my answer is no. In my eyes, it's not inappropriate, to the school it might be. Love is love, and it's making me sit up here risking my career for it, but at least I'm standing up for what is right. The right thing is Mackenzie with Chase, biased or unbiased."

I shocked Lauren's lawyer with that powerful statement. He was extremely taken back, I made him sweat, you could tell by his facial expression and body language that he was having trouble formulating a comeback question.

"No further questions." He quickly said heading to his seat. Lauren gave a disapproving look towards him, she knew he'd possibly blew their chance. I stand up and headed back to my seat, Chase following my every movement. I had a somewhat empty feeling, knowing I'd practically given up my career, but I knew that standing up against Lauren was the right thing to do in the end...

"Now it's time to hear from Ms. Early and Mr. Elliott. Ms. Lauren Early, you're up."

"Your honor, I love my daughter. I just want my precious daughter home. She will be loved and taken care of." Lauren frowns. Every word was fake and forced, it was easy to tell. Her statement was short and abrupt, you could tell she didn't care enough to put an actual heartfelt statement together.

"Is that it?" The judge asked. "I would've expected more from you Ms. Early since you are the one that wanted this trial in the first place." The judge said disapprovingly. "Mr. Elliott, your statement?"

"I love my daughter, she's my everything. Mackenzie has taught me what love is, I don't know where or who I'd be without her in my life. I know I can provide Mackenzie with a protected, stable, and loving home. She needs an environment where she feels safe, where she can be herself, where she can be her bright, smiley self. I never thought I'd be a good father, I struggled when she was born, but I've learned to embrace fatherhood, embrace the struggle, embrace the highs and the lows. Mackenzie has made me into a better person, a better father, a better friend, a better driver, and a better partner. I love Mackenzie Raye Elliott more than anything and I will continue to prove that. I will fight for her no matter how long I have to do so."

"After hearing both sides, hearing the testimonies, seeing the true character of Mr. Elliott and Ms. Early, I have come to a conclusion. The legal guardian who will receive sole custody of minor, Mackenzie Raye Elliott, is without a doubt, Mr. Chase Elliott."

"Yes-" I whispered, as tears of joy fell down my face. Chase's side of the courtroom burst into cheers and the happiest of tears.

"I'd like Mr. Elliott, Ms. Early, and lawyers to stay behind and sign custody papers. This case is officially closed."

I walked out of the courthouse with Ryan, Kayleigh, and Chase's parents. I felt like I could finally breathe, all the emotional stress disappeared, Kayleigh could see my emotions and walked up to me.

"You knocked that out of the park." Kayleigh pulled me into a bear hug. "You made all our testimonies look so small." She laughed. "You did the right thing and I think Chase would agree with me." She motions as Chase and John swung the courthouse doors open, with pure relief. Chase set his eyes on me first, rushing down the steps, picking me off the ground and showering me in kisses.

"You testified even after Lauren, your job-"

"I wasn't letting Lauren win. It was the right thing to do." I whispered. "I did that because I love you and I love Mackenzie."

"W-What did you say?"

"I love you, Chase. It took me a damn minute to realize it but I've always loved you and I always will."

"And I love you, Jade Wright."