all i need is you | 18

C H A S E E L L I O T T

"Jade, it's me again, please call me back." I pleaded over the phone before hanging up. "It can't be good news if she's dodging my texts and calls."

It'd been at least three hours since Jade's meeting ended, after about an hour of receiving no messages, I could feel something was off. The whole damn day my mind had been on Jade and this school board meeting. I couldn't bear to accept the fact that Jade risked her own job in order for me to keep Mackenzie. Jade loved teaching, and she risked everything for Mackenzie

"Give her some time, she's probably out celebrating with Natalie because she kept her job. Have a lil faith, Chase." Ryan tried to give me reassurance as he forged through my refrigerator. "You literally have nothing in here."

"Why are you at my place looking for food? Of all the places there's food, you chose here?"

"Because I'm an old, lazy ass and your bus was the closest."

"You're thirty-two years old and you're leeching off my back for food."

"Well, when you say that it sounds like a bad thing. You're the defending champ, I'd think you'd eat like one." Ryan jokes as there was a loud knock on my door. "Were you expecting anybody?"

"Nope, and frankly don't really wanna see anybody else, you're enough to handle as is," I commented, sitting down on the couch, flipping through TV channels. "Who is it, Blaney?"

"Someone I think you want to see," Ryan said walking in with a duffle bag hung over his shoulder. Jade appeared from around the corner, catching me by surprise.

"How in the world did you get here?" I stood up pulling her into my arms. "That's why my calls and texts wouldn't go through, you were on a plane."

"I got the first flight out of NC."

"You could've told me. I could've sent a plane for you so you didn't have to pay."

"Nah, surprising you is a lot more fun." She laughs. Ryan quietly sneaks out, leaving Jade and me alone. "Surprised?"

"Extremely." I smiled brushing stray hairs out of her face. "How did the board meeting go?" I asked, Jade's smile dropped and her body tensed up. Jade didn't have to answer, her body language spoke for itself. "Not good?"

"Not good." Her voice changed into a whisper. "I got fired, effective immediately."

"What now?"

"Hope and pray that there's an opening for a teaching position at some other school and that they can see past that one mistake."

"What do you mean?"

"My violation gets put on my personal record, so any school I apply for will seethat I got fired."

"So, this is going to follow you wherever you go?"

"Yea, but let's not worry about it now. I came here for a fun weekend and a great race." She smiled, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Show me around? It's been a while since I was at a race track."

"I am extremely glad you're here to be by my side all weekend." I smiled. "Let's go."

J A D E     W R I G H T

Chase took me around the infield, showing me just about every nook and cranny of Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I could tell just how excited and passionate he was about racing, I'd imagine Lauren didn't show much enthusiasm for this sport and lifestyle.

"Is this allowed?" I nervously laughed as Chase guided me onto the track.

"I can get away with a few things." He sends a wink my way. "I'd like to run something by you if that's alright?"

"Of course, what's on your mind?"

"Well, I've been thinking lately and what would you think about having dinner sometime next week to tell Mackenzie about us?"

"Is it that time?"

"Mackenzie is going to support us, she loved you as a teacher and she'll love you as my girlfriend." Chase squeezed my hand. "We're getting more serious and Mackenzie needs someone like you in her life." Chase slowly and methodically worked out each word carefully. I could tell he was trying to avoid saying Mackenzie needed a mother figure, which was true she did. Chase and I were getting more and more serious in our relationship if all ended well, I was going to be Mackenzie's mom eventually.

"A motherly figure? It's okay Chase you can say it. I love Mackenzie."

"I don't know what I did to deserve you."

| m o r n i n g |

I got up the next morning, excited. I haven't attended a race since I was a teenager, it was thrilling being back at the race track. When Chase and I were in high school, each and every weekend during the season, we'd be at some track in Georgia. For a while, after Chase and I broke up, I hated racing because it's what broke us apart in the first place.

"Good morning sleepy head." I smiled seeing Chase's eyes flutter open, a smile creeping onto his face.

"Morning."

"How'd you sleep?"

"Better than I ever have in a long time." He said, pulling our bodies closer together. "You excited? It's been years since you've been at a track let alone a race."

"So excited."

| s t a g e  1 |

"Ryan Blaney will win stage one!"

"Great job bud, that was a nice run. Need any adjustments?" Alan questions coming through my headset. Chase radioed through asking for more rear grip.

| s t a g e  2 |

"Chase Elliott will take away a stage win from Ryan Blaney."

| e n d    o f    r a c e |

"William Byron will beat this teammate, Chase Elliott, to the line to capture his first win of the season."

@jadewright: Race Day | Las Vegas #di9 💙
@kayleighblaney @emilygragson @stacystenhouse

@jadewright: Race Day | Las Vegas #di9 💙@kayleighblaney @emilygragson @stacystenhouse