Alone Together at Last

"We won't be separated forever."

She always knows. Hera might not be connected with the force, but she's connected to me. Hera knows how much it hurt to let Sabine and Zeb go off on the Phantom II in search of Ezra. My mind is only somewhat at ease knowing they'll be joined by Rex and Ahsoka.

Hera and I should be with them, and we would if I were strong enough.

I turn from my position with my weight pressed against the cool glass of the window, not that I can see out it.

"I know."

Hera's arms cautiously circle my torso as she pulls herself close and hums in satisfaction. "Then, let's enjoy this time alone, together." Her cold nose presses into the soft skin where the jawline and neck meet. "Somewhere other than the cockpit."

I smirk as second nature at her suggestion. "Oh, like your quarters?"

A kiss plants itself along my jaw. "You're still not ready for that, but yes."

As confusing as her statement is, I'm still wounded knowing my wounds are keeping me from my love in some ways, but I let her drag me away from the void of space nonetheless. I don't need Hera to guide me through the Ghost. I know this ship as well as I know the curves of Hera's back, and waist, and thighs. Or at least at one point.

Hera's room smells like home. It's my favorite room on the ship. Dried Rylothian flowers hang from the walls filling the room with subtle fragrances that still linger years after the plants' deaths. If Hera hasn't redecorated, which is likely the case, there are posters of her favorite band on the left wall and photos everywhere of all the planets she dreamed of visiting as a little girl. There are also, probably heaps of dirty laundry and mission papers scattered everywhere. She's not the tidiest.

"I noticed you got up early this morning," I try to distract myself from every instinct in my body. "You weren't in bed when I woke up."

Hera pulls me into her lap on the bed. She has the captain's room which is the only quarters with a full-size bed, not bunks. I melt as I feel the warmth of Hera's chest against my scarred back; although it took the least damage from the fire, it was severely mangled from my fall to pavement beneath the fuel tank. Slender fingers trace circles of shivers across my stomach.

"I got sick pretty early this morning, and I couldn't go back to bed after that. I decided to run some diagnostics on Chop instead of waking you up," Hera says quietly in my ear.

I shiver again as her lips brush against my ear, but I fight it. Instead, I take one of her cold, always cold, hands in mine and focus on enjoying the little things about this moment. Like her forever freezing fingers.

"You know I want to be there for you for everything," I turn my head to whisper this against her cheek. "Anytime. Anywhere. Anything."

"Mmm, but we're here now, so what does it matter?" Hera says ending on a playful giggle as she begins to unbutton the undershirt I've resorted to while I recover.

"Hey," I tease. "I thought I wasn't 'ready for that?'" but I kiss her anyway. From this angle, my lips don't find purchase on her mouth, and I wind up planting a smooch on her eyelid.

Hera's chest shakes as laughter bubbles over. "Was I wrong, dear?"

I straighten up and sigh. "Of course not. The captain is always right."

Hera finishes removing my shirt as giggles still escape. "See? I keep telling the kids you're smarter than you look."

She wins a grin from this round.

"Okay, but if I'm not allowed to be 'active,'" I say making use of a few air quotes, "then why am I shirtless and pressed very close to the most beautiful creature to ever fly the galaxy?"

I earn a peck on the cheek for this one.

"Because I made you a healing balm that my mother used on me when I was little."

"And you're going to use those very magical hands to rub every scar and stitch on my naked body?" I'm glad Hera can only see the back of my head and not the giant grin plastered across my face.

"Kanan Jarrus, just for that, I'm going to sleep completely naked."

I groan from the inside out. "Oh, come on!"