They are Something Fierce

"Do we really need to paint the walls?" I frown. Turning my quarters into a nursey makes the most logical sense. I never use it for anything but meditation most days, and it's directly across the hall for Hera's room. Which is also my room now.

Sabine shoots me a wicked grin. "Is that even a question? This is my gift to you and Hera, not to mention little Spectre Seven."

"I doubt the baby will understand... the finer arts for a while," I muse.

The Mandalorian simply gives a test pump of her spray gun, and the sharp smell of paint fills the room. "Never too soon to start, and I know she'll love it!"

"Or he!" Zeb shouts as he clambers out with the last of the heavy furniture.

"She!" Sabine shouts, and I can hear Hera join in from the cockpit where she, Ahsoka, and Rex discuss planetary defense strategy. Which I'm supposed to help with.

"Well, let us know when the masterpiece is ready," I say with a reassuring pat on Sabine's armored shoulder before heading up. As my hand connects with her armor, waves of the force jolt through me. I recoil at the frenzied motion of her frustration and sadness as it passes from the force into me. It leaves a bare and hollow place in my stomach as it disperses.

Don't do that to yourself, kid, I want to say. I want to tell her that Ezra isn't gone for good.

But instead, "I think I miss seeing your artwork most of all. This one's going to be your best yet. I can feel it, kid."

"You mean it?"

"Of course, " I reply as my arms wrap around her small frame. I can't recall the last time, if ever, that Sabine and I just held one another. It brings out a strangely familiar feeling, like the one I felt every time Ezra perfected a new move.

Sabine pulls away, and I can hear a short sniffle. "Well, you should go. Even if you can't see it, I still do my best work in private."

"Sure thing, " I say with a nod before stepping towards the doorway. I make a mental note to check in with her later on.

It's been nice to have the Ghost full again as Sabine and the others take a break from Ezra hunting to gather more intel,  even if that means Chop has been extra Choppy with the excess of opportunities for attention. It's amazing how much I missed them; I realize as Zeb chases Chopper with a capacitor wrench. I feel myself smile at the normality as I enter the cockpit.

"It's not the size of the attacks that raise an issue," Hera comments from the pilot's seat as she steers us through the day's patrol. "The Empire is too smart to waste a massive invasion on Lothal while their forces are spread so thin. The problem is that their hits are random, completely unpredictable."

"If we can't get to them in time, they can cause heavy damages to villages and small towns."

"Kanan, nice of you join us," Ahsoka's voice is as gentle as ever.

Rex snorts, "Yeah, you've been MIA for long enough."

"Rex," Ahsoka warns.

But I laugh. "No, he's right, " I say as I lean against the metal walls, "and I think what Hera is trying to say is that we don't have the forces for planet-wide protection. The Empire understands that, and they hit us in our blind spots. We need a way to predict where and when they'll strike next."

"But..." Hera interjects, "we have zero resources. It would take thousands or even millions of credits to set up the kind of detection systems we need."

A scratchy sound comes from the seat occupied by Rex, or I assume he's seated in it. I can almost picture him racking his thick fingers over a two-week-old shave. "You wouldn't need these detectors if the villages could defend themselves."

"Ah," Ahsoka whispers, "like Onderon."

"Exactly."

"Care to share with the group?" Hera asks.

Oh, great. Here goes another Rex story from the clone wars because I really want to hear about how great of a Jedi Anakin Skywalker was. Well, he's an even better sith now.

But Ahsoka speaks up, "It's simple. We train the locals to defend themselves, at least until help arrives. Then, our forces will reach across the planet."

"That sounds promising," Hera mutters as the gears turn, "but we'll need Kallus to agree to handle the relations with the Lothians."

Deep cackles erupt from Rex. "You mean to tell me that the guy who tried to kill everyone on this planet actually earned their trust?" Rex begins to wheeze from laughter.

"He earned our trust," Hera points out.

"But it doesn't hurt that the new governor's daughter thinks he's the stuff," I loudly whisper in Rex's direction which only ignites more laughter from the clone.

The laughter immediately stops as Asoka clears her throat. Must have been one heck of a look she gave him. Briefly, I wonder if these two have ever had a thing of their own, and if not, whether Hera and I make good matchmakers...

"It's so nice of you, Rex, to volunteer. I know Kallus will have his hands full," Asoka's voice drips with sweetness.

I choke back laughter trying to hide it beneath a cough, but my love is ever the clever one.

"Careful, dear. I know the recycled air is a bit stale, " Hera calls. "Would you like to join Rex and get some fresh air?"

My coughing fit ceases. "No, sweetheart. I'm all good."

These women... They're something else.

Happy Friday, everyone! I hope that you're all staying healthy and safe. Thanks for sticking with another chapter!