One Plus Two is Seven

"This is really freaking me out," I mutter skeptically while Hera continues to cut the circulation from my fingers.

"I'm sure," she pauses for another deep breath, "it's nothing. Just another false alarm."

False alarms I can handle; we had one two weeks ago. It was like a little practice run, or that's how I look at it. I don't think Hera enjoyed it so much. She was so excited to finally hold our little Seven, and I think it was a little disappointing to hear that it was all for nothing.

Something just tells me this isn't the same thing. There's too much nervous energy coming from the baby.

I pat her shoulder reassuringly. "Look, I don't want to sound like you don't know what's going on — you've got the whole female thing on your side — but uh, I think it might be time. Like really time."

Hera squeezes my hand and lets out a deep groan.

"I hate it when you're right, you know that?" and if I could see Hera's face, I'm sure that I would be getting the glare of a century.

When Hera's contraction subsides again, I manage to contact the midwife we agreed on. She actually comes highly recommended by Medic Hannapho.

"Anything I can do?" I can hear Sabine at the edge of the room.

Hera sighs. "Taking Chopper and Ezra to Zeb's place would be really helpful; Chop gets worried about me. Sadly, it's best if you don't stick around. There are things you might not want to see if you and Ezra plan to have kids."

Chopper beeps in response, and I'm seriously going to have a word with him one of these days about language choice. One of these days when Hera isn't going into labor.

"I'm going to pretend like I didn't hear either of you," Sabine's voice drips with disgust. "Come on Chopper."

I hear the grinding of gears.

"You... are... coming... with me. Even if I have to manually override your circuits!"

The sounds of a struggling droid echo down the hall as Sabine drags Chopper away.

Another tired grumble fills the room. "Can I blame you for this?" Hera asks as she lays her head on my shoulder. Already, beads of sweat have formed on her forehead, and I can feel them bleed into my shirt.

"Whatever makes you feel better," I try to sound comforting as I rub little circles into the small of her back.

"Good because that was a great night, you know what I mean?"

Where the karabast is she going with this?

"Sure?" I offer.

Hera seems unfazed by my discomfort, "And I mean I love that we're going to have a kid. That's something I've always wanted, but this... Yeah, this sucks."

Am I allowed to laugh? Is this a trap?

"I—I'm sorry?"

Hera places a hand on my cheek. "Good, and just in case I say something that I don't mean: I love you, very much."

My lips press against Hera's and I can taste the salty film of her sweat. "You too."

Before long, the midwife arrives and introduces herself as Tenna. She doesn't speak much which is a good change from Hannapho. Tenna just gets to work setting up the room in preparation for the baby.

Our baby.

Sometimes it's strange to even think that. When this is all said and done, I'm going to be a father. Not that I wasn't before, but this time it's weird to think that the baby will be half of me and half of the best thing that ever happened to me.

I really hope this kid looks like Hera; otherwise, they're going to have one heck of an awkward stage.

"Alright Captain Syndulla, it's time to push," Tenna says calmly from the foot of the bed after a few more hours of contractions and dilating.

"Kanan, what if I can't? What if she gets stuck? What if something goes wrong?" there's the sound of fear and tears in Hera's voice.

I climb behind her and set her back against my chest for support. "Then, I'll be right here, and we'll do it together."

"On three, Captain Syndulla," Tenna commands. "One... Two... Three..."

*

"Seven... Little Spectre Seven," Hera's laughter is filled with pure, light joy. You wouldn't even know she just delivered a whole person or believe what she called me halfway through.

"What's he like? Is he perfect?" I try to place my hands on him, and Hera guides one of my fingers to his hand. Spector Seven instinctively wraps five healthy fingers around my index. Something calming and familiar fills me.

Look at you, little guy. Four minutes old, and already strong with the force.

"He looks just like you, Kanan. Except with some crazy green hair," Hera's voice is filled with happiness and laughter.

"You poor thing," I whisper over my son, "but don't worry, I still managed to get a hottie like your mom."

We must be a sight as we're both ugly laughing with full blown snorts and cackles when the midwife clears her throat.

"Sorry to intrude," she doesn't sound very sorry, "but I must finish the boy's notary of birth. I will need you to fill out his name and your information, but I can complete the rest."

"Here," I feel Hera's arms press into mine, "you take Seven, so I can take care of this."

I am not ready for this. "But... What? How am I—"

Hera places the baby in my arms adjusting my hands as she goes. "Just be sure you're always supporting the head and butt, and you're all good."

Sure, I'm all good. I hold my son to my chest. I got this.

"Hey, Kanan?" Hera asks just I begin to feel comfortable with the weight of my little boy, and I'm really hoping they don't need my parents' information in the notary.

"Yeah?"

"You're a sleemo."

I try to contain the snort that rises up without disturbing the baby. "Why is that, sweetheart?"

"You knew it was a boy the whole time. Didn't you?" her words are thick with accusation.

She is good.

"You had your feelings... and I had mine," I try to say with a straight face.

"Ugh, fine," Hera growls. "What name did you come up with?"

Now, I smile down at the infant in my arms. "Jacen, Jacen Caleb Syndulla."

There's a moment of silence, and I can feel those impossible green eyes boring holes into my burning face.

"I like it," she says finally, and the edge in Hera's voice is subdued. "Something from you, something from me, and a name to make for himself. Welcome to the family, Jacen."