Part 2

As I woke up from yet another nightmare, I jumped in the shower to get ready for the first day of school. Now thinking about it, I was definitely more nervous now than I was yesterday as butterfly refused to leave my stomach alone.

Wanting to make an effort, I put a bit of makeup on and then decided on a nice pair of black jean and slightly cropped light blue hoodie with matching converse. After braiding my hair I checked the clock to see that it was already 7:45 and I had to leave at 8, so I did what I had been putting off since I had woken up and that was going downstairs.

I wasn't scared anymore, I was just left hoping that he was in a better mood this morning. After running through what happened over and over again as I tried to sleep last night, I just came to the conclusion that he was just stressed from the long drive and that I had just been stupidly clumsy.

Yes, the alcohol had made him more on edge, but if I hadn't had been so stupid then it wouldn't have happened, right?

As I made my way down the stairs a strong smell hit me. But this smell was... sweet. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was until I reached the bottom step and saw my dad flipping pancakes in the kitchen.

Now it was confusion that was hitting me. My dad never cooked breakfast. Like ever.

As I stepped towards the kitchen hesitantly, he turned around and gave me a smile like the whole of last night was just some weird dream.

"Good morning Munchkin, you all rested and ready for your first day?" He asked, now pilling the pancakes he had made onto a plate in a tall stack.

"Yeah, can't wait." I replied as I finally made my way to the kitchen table.

"Sit down and eat up, I made you your favourite." He was definitely right about pancakes being my favourite, so I just sat down shrugging off my confusion and ate up.

I was finished just in time to grab my bag and head to the school bus stop that was conveniently just across the road from my house. My new house. It still felt strange that everything was so... new and I hadn't even started the school yet.

***

As I got off the bus I was met with this historic looking building, it was just so... old. In a nostalgic kind of way. If it was not for the huge sign on the front of the building that read 'Beckeley Hill Academy' I would have assumed it was a small museum.

Even though I had only been in this town for less than 24 hours, I could already tell that it held a tight knit community. I had recognised this by the way the bus driver had greeted everyone who got on the bus by their first name and that the kids were even friendly as they all said good morning to her, as if she was a family friend or something.

And now as I stood outside the school watching students hang around outside the entrance it was like there were no cliques, yes there were small friendship groups, but it was like everyone knew everyone. The atmosphere was so different to my old town. Everyone here was so... friendly. It was weird. Weird in a good way.

Suddenly, the school bell rang and everyone disappeared into the old looking building. Trying not to be late on the first day I did a half run half jog to the entrance. As I made my way down the hallways trying to find the reception I lost myself in my thoughts. Thoughts of my mother and how much I missed her. I was still kind of nervous and she was always so good at reassuring me that everything would be fine. But that's was when it hit me. No literally!

I found myself on the floor, lying on my back and gripping my head as a sharp pain radiated through it. Confusion overwhelmed me as I tried to make sense of what happened. Hands grabbed my shoulders and all I could hear was someone apologizing over and over again as they forcing me to sit up.

Through blurry eyes all I saw was this girl, she was knelt next to me in such a panic it made me laugh. (What can I say, it looked cute on her.) But the second I laughed I regretted it. Not only did the pain get worst, but she started to panic even more. Which I didn't even think was possible.

"Oh god you're in shock!" She exclaimed. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you. Are you okay?" She repeated.

By now my vision was more clear and I could finally take in what was happening. I tried to stand up, but the girl pushed me back down. I stared at her in confusion. It was only then that I finally looked at her properly and noticed her light brown eyes staring right back at me. But her eyes were filled with concern. As she spoke, I was snapped back to reality. "Hey, hold you're horse. You might have a concussion." She explained to me with a slight smile on her lips.

"I... I'm fine." I shuttered in the most unconvincing voice ever.

"Nice try" she said. "But I'm not convinced, I'm taking you to the nurse, so she can tell me whether you're fine or not." She grinned with a pleased look on her face.

"You don't need to take me to the nurse." I protested. But she wasn't having any of it and instead put my arm around her shoulder and helped me up. I was too dizzy to protest any longer so I accepted my defeat.

"So... you're new here, right?" She asked as she walked me to the nurses office.

"Yeah, I am. How'd you know?".

"I pretty sure I would have remembered your face." She replied with a small smile. Causing me to blush slightly.

"Plus Beckeley Hill is a small town, everyone knows everyone"

As she led the way still supporting me, I found myself staring at her again. Her long blonde hair fell over her shoulders and across her face a bit, but not enough to hide her natural beauty.

She turned to face me with a smile. "So, what's your name new girl?" She asked trying to sound witty. (And definitely not failing.)

"I'm Rebecca Wilson." I replied nearly forgetting my own name.

"Well Rebecca Wilson, I'm Lexie Foster."

I just smiled back to her as a response. Damn, I knew I was a clumsy person, but this... this was a whole new level of embarrassing. Lexie seems so nice, but she probably now thinks that I'm a complete idiot.

I know she bumped into me, but I didn't want her to feel bad, so I tried to brush it off. My head hurt quite a bit, but I didn't want her to not believe that I was fine. But because she insisted on me seeing the nurse I guess I'd have to convince her that.

Lexie's POV-

When we got to the nurses office the nurse sat Rebecca down and started checking her over. So, I just stood back out of the way and observed.

I observed the nurse checking the back of Rebeccas head for any bleeding. I observed the way Rebecca clenched her fists slightly any time the nurse accidentally hurt her in order to not show the pain on her face. I observed the way Rebecca put a smile on her face anytime she knew the nurse was looking at her. I observed how fast she could put up a front and hide any glimpse of pain she may have been feeling.

I don't know how she was convincing the nurse she was fine because there was no way in hell she was convincing me.

Who was this girl? And what hide behind those eyes of hers? But most important why was I so intrigued by her?