Part 21

Lexie's POV-

I woke up the next morning feeling so guilty. I had basically backed Rebecca into a corner last night. Did my worry for her truly justify how we confronted her? Was it even my place to do so?

But it happened and we promised to leave it... for now. I just wish I knew how she got the bruise.

If it wasn't Sam, then who?

But I had to stop thinking about it. Today was the day of the big project. This project was 25% of our end of year grade, meaning it is very important. Luckily though we got it finished last night and we both know who's presenting what.

When I got to school I went straight to my first lesson ready to get this presentation over with. As I sat down though I realised that Rebecca wasn't here yet, which was a surprise seeing as everyone else was in their seats, but I wasn't worried. At least I wasn't, until the teacher walked in and sat down.

"Good morning everyone. I hope you all have your posters ready to present to the rest of the class. So... who's up first." Mrs Brady asked as she scanned the whole class until her glance finally landed on me. "How about you Lexie? Who did you partner up with?"

This would be a really great time for Rebecca to walk into the classroom, but she was no where to be seen.

"I'm paired with Rebecca, but she hasn't shown up yet." I answer giving her an apologetic look.

"Oh okay, I guess I'll come back to you at the end. Let's hope she shows up." She said offering me a small smile.

Yeah, let's hope.

Rebecca's POV-

I woke up slightly dazed and unable to open my eyes properly. My stomach was sore as I moved slightly trying to understand why my bed was so hard. That was until I realised I wasn't in bed, I was on the front room floor.

Trying to understand what was happening I sat up trying to be careful not to move too much. My right eye felt like it was swollen shut and that's when it clicked. He had hit me.

I started to make my way upstairs replaying the events that had just occurred not long ago. Wait... how long ago was it? I thought as confusion still muddled up my thoughts.

When I got to my room I sat down on my bed and checked the time.

1:30pm.

How had I missed most of the school day? I don't remember blacking out, all I remember was the pain. With that I decided to go the the bathroom to check the damage.

As I looked at myself in the mirror I was shocked at what I saw, but my theory was confirmed. My right eye was slightly swollen making it difficult to open and a purple bruise had started to form around the outside of it.

God, I looked awful and how the hell was I going to be able to go to school like this.

School! The project! Lexie!

How did I screw up this much? Just after I promised to not act too suspicious I go and get a black eye. How was I supposed to hide this? How was I supposed to explain missing the project?

How could he have done this to me? His own daughter!

With that I couldn't hold it in any longer I just started crying. I had to hold my tears in when I was in front of him, I knew there was no way I was going to give him the satisfaction. But I had no one. Lexie couldn't know, it would just cause too many problem and she doesn't deserve to suffer because of me.

So I just sat there on the bathroom floor crying. I didn't know what else to do.

Lexie's POV-

Throughout the lesson I kept glancing between the clock and the door but there was no sign of her. I can't believe she would leave me to do this by myself. Was she mad at me because of last night? Either way she could have at least sent me a text.

Was she ill? I doubt it, she was fine last night and she wasn't marked as ill on the register. So I decided to sent her a quick text.

Soon enough though the teacher called my name and her time was up... my time was up. She had seriously left me to do this on my own without any explanation. I understand if she is mad at me, but I thought we we're closer than that.

"You ready?" Mrs Brady asked.

"Yes." I lied getting up out of my seat.

***

After the second lesson had ended I headed to break.

"So how did the presentation go?" Hannah asked with a bright early morning smile.

"Terrible, Rebecca seriously left me to do it all by myself without any warning. I had to basically wing all the stuff she was going to present." I replied in an annoyed tone.

"Wow, I can't believe Rebecca left you without a heads up like that." Hannah replied as she offered me a smile. "Do you think she's mad at us about yesterday?" She continued.

"I don't know." I replied.

"I bet she's just ill or something, she probably has a perfectly good excuse, you'll see." Mikey said as he entered the conversation.

"I hope you're right."

Rebecca's POV-

After having a shower and washing away all of my tears I finally had a good look at my stomach. Now there was barely a section that wasn't either black, purple or green. I was even able to see the difference in which bruises had been there the longest. It hurt like hell as-well, I wasn't able to walk without looking funny or even breath without wincing slightly.

I hadn't heard or see my dad since this morning and for that I was grateful. I was hoping that I would be able to go to school tomorrow because the last thing I wanted was to have to stay a home all day listening out for whether he was home or not.

When it hit 3:40pm I decided to go down stairs to get something to eat. As I entered the kitchen I heard a knock at the door. Slightly panicked I decided to just hide in the kitchen in hopes that who ever It was would just get fed up and leave. It's not like I could answer it with my face looking like this.

But to my surprise I suddenly heard footsteps coming down the stairs. It was my dad. Not seeing me he walked straight to the door and opened it.

"Can I help you?" He asked in a creeply normal way.

"Hello, I'm sorry to disturb you but I'm one of Rebecca's friends from school." An all too familiar voice said causing my heart to speed up a bit.

Why was she here I thought? And as if Lexie could head my thoughts she answered.

"She wasn't in school today and I was wondering if she was feeling okay." She continued.

"Oh yes, she's fine. She just has a bit of a cold." My dad answered in such a fake way it made me cringe as I tried to watch from behind the half open kitchen door.

"Is there any chance I can go up and see her?" Lexie asked.

"She's actually asleep at the moment, has been most of the day. But what I will do for you is, I'll get her to give you a call later when she wakes up." He said with a fake smile.

"That would be great. Thank you, Mr Wilson." Lexie said ever so politely before she said goodbye and left.

I hated hiding from her, all I wanted to do was be with her, but instead I was trapped in here too scared to let anyone see how broken my life really was and it was all because of him.