Part 22

Lexie's POV-

After school I went to Rebecca's house to ask her why she didn't show up at school, but her dad answered instead.

The way Rebecca brushed me off before when I wanted to come over and meet him, I assumed he was probably just a bit strike about her having friends over, but he seem really nice. He ended up telling me that Rebecca was ill which made me feel horrible for assuming that she was being spiteful because she was mad at me.

Now all I could think about was whether she was okay or not and if she was going to be in school tomorrow.

It felt slightly weird at school without her, it made me realise how much I actually missed her, even if I was slightly mad at her. Now all I could do though was hope that she would feel better soon.

Mr Wilson ended up telling me not to worry and that he would get her to give me a call later. Which I thought was pretty nice of him. But it did have me wondering about whether or not he had seen Rebeccas bruise or if he knew about how she got it, but it really wasn't my place to ask.

Rebecca's POV-

After Lexie left, my dad closed the door behind him and turned around, his gaze quickly finding mine. He looked slightly shocked at first, but then his focus turned my eyes. A glimmer of sadness escape his cold stare. I could tell he was starting to feel guilty, but I knew it was only because he was starting to sober up and that the next time he gets drunk again his guilt will disappear just as fast as it appeared.

"Hey... Munchkin." He slightly hesitated as he lowered his eyes. "I called the school to let them know you wasn't feeling well and that you will probably be off tomorrow as well." He said no longer looking at the bruise he left on my face.

"Ok." Was all I managed to say back. He told the school that I 'wasn't feeling well'. He lied to them so they wouldn't find out what was really happening.

All I wanted to do was go to school and be with my friends, all I wanted was to be normal. But I couldn't, maybe I never will be. Maybe the best thing for me to do now is to give up on a normal life, I mean this is only the start right? What happens the next time he hits me and I get a bruise that's too visible. It's not like I can keep having days off. What happens when people start to ask questions?What will my friends say? What will Lexie say?

"Have you eaten yet?" My dad asked interrupting the racing thoughts in my head.

Why did he even care? I thought and trust me I really wanted to ask, but he was sober right now and I guess that was my answer.

"No." I answered.

Keeping my answers short was the only thing stopping me from screaming at him. This was all his fault and here he was asking me if I was hungry.

"Put the TV on, I'll order in a Chinese. Your favourite." He said giving me as small smile before he headed upstairs to get his phone.

Was this seriously happening? I questioned... but then it all started to make sense.

When he's drunk, I'm his Punching bag.
When he's sober, I'm his Munchkin.

And right know he felt guilty, so I guess he was trying to make up for it.

***

We didn't really talk much while we were eating and watching TV. I could tell he was trying to be nice by asking me a few questions about school but it just felt so weird. It felt like I was having dinner with an imposter. This wasn't the dad I knew when my mom was still alive, this was someone completely different.

After we finished I quickly made my way upstairs to my room. I sat down on my bed and checked my phone. To my surprise I had 14 missed messages. They were mainly from Lexie and a few from Mike and Hannah. So I started to read some of them.

Lexie: Where are you class has already started?!?!

Lexie: You haven't forgotten about the project today, right?

Lexie: Mrs Brady's asking where you are?!

Lexie: Please don't make me do this whole thing by myself.

Lexie: Where the hell are you?!?!?! I have to go up next!

Lexie: Thanks a lot, that was an absolute disaster. Where the hell was you? I thought you was my friend!

Lexie: Hey, can you at least reply and let me know that you're okay? I'm starting to get worried.

Lexie: Are you mad at me because of yesterday? I'm sorry if I over stepped.

Lexie: Can you just please text me.

Lexie: Hey, so I just left your house, your dad said that you was ill. I'm sorry about all of the messages I sent, I feel terrible now. I just hope you feel better soon x

Not sure what to reply to first I decided to just give her a call instead.

Straight after the first ring, she answered.

"Hey how are you feeling?" She asked without taking a breathe.

"Hey, I'm fine. I'm feeling better." I said, but before I could continue, she did.

"I'm so sorry about all the messages I sent you, I should have know that you wouldn't have left me like that without a good reason. Please forgive me." She asked in the fastest, cutest way I could have ever thought possible.

"Hey, slow down. There's nothing for me to forgive you for. I'm just sorry that I missed the project and left you on your own." I replied slowly lying down on my bed making sure not to move too quickly.

"It's not your fault if your ill. You couldn't help it, plus if I let Mrs Brady know why you wasn't in then she'll probably let us redo it." She said.

"Yeah, I guess so." I replied as I looked up at the ceiling feeling terrible about having to lie to her.

"So, will you be at school tomorrow? Because don't tell the rest of the group this but school was really boring without you." She teased with a cute laugh at the end.

"Actually... I won't be in tomorrow either. I still have a bit of a temperature, so my dad doesn't want to take the risk. I'm sorry." I said with a pout.

"It's okay, you're dad is just doing the best thing to make sure that you're okay." She said.

If only she knew.

================================

N/A

I know it's short but I really wanted to give you guys another part this weekend because college is currently burying me with tests at the moment so uploading during the week is becoming very difficult, so I'm try my hardest to published as much as I can on the weekends.

A huge thanks for the 4k reads and 200 votes :) they all mean so much to me. And also thank for all the comments you have been writing, I appreciate them more than you can even imagine xxx

Thanks for reading
Love, Paige Novak
Xoxo