02 | plain burgers

❈

AMARA PLOPPED DOWN ONTO the floor next to Silvia and Debbie, the two younger girls huddled together as they gossiped about something the brunette couldn't hear.

"Extra ketchup?" The new guy, Steve, called, looking around frantically. Amara was honestly surprised that he had managed to stay this long, normally the guys Fiona brought home would get scared of the giant packaged deal that came with the her, and scamper off. However, Steve was the only exception, and she was impressed. Steve sticking around was enough to make Amara like him. Plus, he was hot—and he kept buying them food.

"That's mine!" Debbie announced, reaching her hand up for the burger.

"Only pickles?" The man asked, making Silvia's arm shoot up, and he handed it to her. Amara'a face scrunched up in disgust.

"Gross. I can't believe you asked for just pickles."

Silvia stuck her tongue out at her sister, and Steve went to stand in front of Amara. "I take it the plain one is yours?"

Amara grinned at him, and gratefully snatched the burger out of his hands. "You guessed correctly."

"She's picky," Lip informed him, and Amara shot him a dirty look. "She doesn't even like mayonnaise."

"You don't like mayonnaise?" Steve wondered, his voice clouded in disbelief.

"Yeah," Ian chimed in. "Or seafood. She's weird."

"Man, you are weird," Steve said with a smile, and Amara glanced between the three of them. "What's next, you don't like zucchini bread?"

"No, I don't even like vegetables." she said with crossed arms. "And I'm feeling personally attacked right now, fellas. I'm gonna have to ask you to be quiet or you'll all wake up with shaven eyebrows."

"Shaven eyebrows," she heard Carl mumble. "Great idea."

"Amara's never mentally grown out of the toddler stage," Ian continued, and she rolled her eyes.

"Make that physically, too. Look how short she is."

"Who's this?" Veronica asked, cutting their conversation short as she gestured to the blonde girl sitting in the armchair. Amara had to hide her disliking for the girl by looking the opposite direction. She had absolutely no reason to not get along with her, but for some reason, she made Amara's blood boil.

"This is Karen," Lip introduced, sliding onto the seat next to her. Amara watched as the two of them cozied up together, and she swallowed, turning her attention back to the tv.

"Hey Karen," V greeted. "Nice top. What size are you?"

"Shh!" Fiona snapped, smacking the darker girl's arm, and accidentally kicking Amara's back, who grunted in response. Fiona laughed loudly at the noise that emitted from the girl in front of her, and jokingly soothed her back "I'm sorry, you big baby."