01 | weed selling shindig

★

CHICAGO WAS FUCKING HOT as balls in the summer, but Amara loved it with her whole heart. It was truly her favorite season, after all. And it was even better this year, because the Gallagher's had an actual pool. She was basically living there at that point, if she weren't already—even though there was a swarm of children every time she went over due to Debbie's babysitting business.

Although things had gone back to normal between her and Lip, the two of them didn't hang out together as much. The kiss had left her with so many unsaid emotions, she didn't know how to act around him. And at certain moments, when it was just the two of them, there was an awkward looming tension that surrounded the pair. She had no idea how to fix it.

As much as she wanted to spend every second of everyday at the Gallagher's pool, Amara had to instead spend her days scooping ice cream out of a bucket for six hours straight. It wasn't her ideal job, but at least she got a couple hundred bucks at the end of the week from it.

After making sure to safely lock the place up, Amara shut the door behind her, and stepped out into the night. The air was humid out, making her hair frizz up and stick out in all sorts of different directions. She swung her purse over her shoulder as she made her way back home. A small can of pepper spray was placed comfortably in the palm of her hand, and every so often she would check behind her to make sure she wasn't being followed. Ah, the perks of being a woman.

Amara softly shut the front door behind her, and ran up the stairs, not even bothering to greet her father who was sat on the couch, watching television. The new addition to their household caused her to tend to stay out longer. She still hadn't forgiven her father for beating her senseless, multiple times. Why should she?

"Hey," Amara knocked on Silvia's door, swinging it open. "How'd babysitting go today?"

"Good. I made fifty bucks."

"Nice," Amara replied with a grin. "Electric is due tomorrow, so do you think you could split half of that for it?"

"No need," Joe's voice replied, and she turned to see him leaning against the doorframe. "Your mother and I have it covered."

"Yeah, sure you do, and I'm Beyoncé," Amara said, shoving past him with a scoff, walking towards her room.

"How long you gonna keep up this little feud of yours?" Joe called after her.

"Until you get the fuck out of my life," Amara responded, slamming the door shut behind her. "I hate this house."

A rock hitting Amara's window made her pull the blinds, and she rolled her eyes once she saw who it was. She opened the window, leaning out of it as she spoke. "I have a door, you know."

"Didn't feel like walking that far," Lip told her. "Besides, your dad looks like Satan's twin brother, and I'd rather avoid ruining my day by seeing that."