02 | you little hooker

★

"MAYBE WE CAN TALK talk to the electric company into taking a down payment-plan kind of deal," Lip suggested, and Amara looked up in confusion.

"Huh?"

"Kev grew the pot in the basement of the Alibi."

"Yeah, and the bill was like eight thousand dollars," Kev explained. "I gotta pay it off somehow."

"Jesus, how many plants are you growing?"

"Around thirty. Maybe more."

"Fuck selling joints out of a truck, I'm gonna have to strip down to my underwear for you to pay that shit off."

"There will be no stripping," Kev said, pointing a finger accusingly at her as he stopped the vehicle in the parking lot. "I will send you to a Christian camp, you little hooker."

Amara threw her hands up
dramatically. "Fine. Dad."

A boy walked up to the truck. "Can I get a watermelon Bop-Pop, Bubblegum snow cone, and a Chocolate Crunch?" Amara dunked her hand in the freezer, grabbing everything he ordered. "You guys still selling loosies?"

"Yeah," Lip replied. "Marlboro Lights. A buck apiece." Amara handed the boy his order as he took out money from his pocket.

"What can I get you, champ?" Kev asked the next kid in line, and Amara took a step back, since it was Lip's turn to fetch his order. They'd been doing this three years in a row, they had a routine down. Amara was glad she agreed to go, it would've been weird if she hadn't.

"Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar," the kid told him. "Molson's."

"Molson's? We sell American beer here to children of age." Amara snickered from the back, and Kev turned to give her a 'shut up' look. That statement was far from true. Just the other day Kevin had snuck some alcohol into Lip's room. "Come back for a Bud Light when you're sixteen."

"Two frozen Snickers," the next boy ordered. "A bag of Beer Nuts, and a couple of joints."

"You fourteen?" Lip asked. "Got ID?" The boy shook his head, and Lip tapped his fingers against the counter.

Amara went to stand next to the blonde, trying to think of a solution because they needed the money. "When's your birthday?"

"June third, 1997," the boy lied, and Lip grabbed two joints from above him, handing them to the kid.

Amara mumbled something about going to the bathroom to one of the boys, and she climbed down the steps to head to the building which held the toilets. On her way back, she ran into a familiar face. "James, hey," she greeted.

"Afternoon, gorgeous," he replied, giving her cheek a kiss, which made her insides erupt into butterflies. "Boss said you didn't show up for work today."