20 | life's a bitch

★

"I THOUGHT THEY ALREADY broke it off?" Amara said, but it came out more like a question, kicking off her shoes, she climbed onto Ian's bed, and stared at the ceiling as she awaited his answer.

"Me too, but apparently he went over to apologize or something. And they had like, make-up sex, and she dumped him."

"Huh," she mused. "Sounds like he's had a couple of shitty days."

"So have you, I mean, your mom's drinking again. You okay?"

Amara pushed herself up, shrugging. "Yeah, I guess. I knew she was going to start again. Was kinda hoping I'd manage to snag more money from her. I'm sure that guy is going to break it off with her once he finds out she's an alcoholic. Then we'll be broke again. It's been nice, you know, not having to worry about money."

"All good things must come to an end," Ian muttered. "Life's a bitch."

Amara laughed. "Yeah. Life's a bitch."

Amara was on her way out the door to go grocery shopping, when Lip appeared at the bottom of the stairs. She furrowed her brows together in confusion, softly shutting the front door behind her. They stood in silence for a moment, before Amara took a careful step towards him. "Why are you all bloody?"

"I beat the shit out of Frank for fucking Karen."

Amara reeled back at the statement. "He did what?"

"Yeah, recorded it and everything. Posted it on some website. Can I come in?"

"I was just...um, sure?"

He sat at the table, as Amara wrapped his hand in a bandage. Neither of them spoke, she could still tell he was beyond pissed. She was for sure that if Kevin hadn't stepped in and stopped the fight, that Lip would've killed Frank. It was unbelievable. All of that, just for some girl that was probably off having sex with some other random guy at the moment.

"You know, I'm getting really sick of this," she confessed, taping the cast shut.

"Sick of what?"

"Patching you up. This is ridiculous, Lip! You just got out of jail, you need to stop ruining your future."

Lip pushed himself up, glaring down at her. "Sorry, my life isn't all fucking rainbows and butterflies. Not everyone just ask their parents to pay the bills! You're privileged compared to us, Amara. You don't know what the fuck I'm going through."

"I'm privileged?" She repeated. "I'm privileged? You know, when you're angry, your true fucking feelings spill out. So why don't you tell me something else I don't know about myself, huh?"

"I'm sorry," he said suddenly, and she shook her head.

"No you're not. You're full of shit," she shoved at his chest, but he easily caught her hands, making her glance up to him in confusion. "No, go on. Tell me how else you feel. I'm waiting."

"Amara—"

"No, Lip. You don't just get to throw a temper tantrum like a toddler and then apologize like everything's okay. You're such an asshole."

"Like you're a gigantic bitch?"

"This isn't funny," she snapped, "you do this all the time. You almost killed your father for a girl who doesn't even give a shit about you!"

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"Seriously? Who taught you how to ride a bike? Who was the only other person besides Fiona to show up at your award ceremony in fifth grade for when you won first place because you had the best score on your test? Who was the one who snuck out at two am to buy you soup because you were throwing up, and nothing else would stop it? Me. Not some blonde bitch who showed up out of the blue. Me.

"I know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about because I've always been there! I know you're better than this, and I know what's best for you, guess what? It's not Karen. It's not you literally killing your father because of some stupid ass girl. She'll break your heart, and sleep with your dad. Oh wait, she already did. Look at that, I'm physic."

There was a thick silence between them, before he leaned forward and connected their lips, his arms tightened themselves around her waist—and no matter how bad she wanted it, Amara shoved him back.

"What the fuck was that?" She asked, and Lip glanced away.

"Seemed like the right time."

She swallowed. "It wasn't."

"Great," Lip threw his hands up. "I'll be leaving then."

"Great," she retorted, watching him make his way to the front of the house. He didn't even glance back at her as he slammed the door shut behind him. Amara stared at the last spot he had been in, before backing up against a wall, and sliding down it, burying her head in her hands. She was expecting herself to cry, after all, she totally fucked things up with her best friend since she was a child, but she didn't. Amara just felt...empty.

When Amara looked back up again, Margot was standing there, a piece of paper in her hands. "We need talk."

Amara didn't move from her spot on the floor. "About what? Shouldn't you be off drinking or something?"

She heard Margot sigh. "I take it you saw the vodka bottle then."

"Yeah, no shit."

"Becoming sober is hard, you wouldn't understand."

"Of course I wouldn't. I'm the dumb south-side girl who's secretly a spoiled brat and doesn't know anything. Can you get to the point?"

Suddenly, a man with a beard stepped out from behind Margot, and Amara froze, recognizing him immediately. It felt like her limbs had been chopped off, she couldn't move. She was completely numb. Her heart thundered in her chest, the sound taking over all of her senses. The beat of her heart was all she could hear. Her world felt like it had been turned upside down. She didn't know what to do. Margot fidgeted with her hands, obviously nervous to how her daughter would react to the sudden appearance. Struggling to lift herself up, Amara put a hand on the table to stable herself as she gaped at the man in front of her.

"What the hell are you doing here, Dad?"

a/n

and that's a wrap !!! season one is finished😳 i'm so excited for you guys to see season two :)))