09 | summer really is over

★

"WAKE UP!" AMARA CALLED, banging on Silvia's bedroom door. "You're gonna be late for school!"

"I don't want to go," her sister's voice whined from behind the wall. Amara held back an eye roll. "Lip isn't going! Why do I have to?

"Because Lip has a little dick, and wants to throw away his future because he's an idiot," she answered, swinging the door open. "And I'm not letting that happen to you. You're eleven. Now get up, there's cereal and oatmeal downstairs."

"Gross," Silvia mumbled, brushing past her. "Why can't we have good breakfast foods?"

"We're broke, hello?" Amara reminded her, smacking the back of her head. "Steve will be giving you a ride again, so don't be late!"

With a sigh, Amara slung her bag over her shoulder, and made her way next door to the Gallagher's, which was chaotic as always.

"Morning, losers," Amara greeted, stepping into the kitchen, narrowly avoiding a dramatic Debbie who was lying on the ground.

"Hey," Fiona responded, looking up from the lunches she was packing.

"Lip's still not coming to school?" She asked in disbelief, taking a mental head count and realizing the blonde boy wasn't in the room. Fiona shook her head. "Jeez, if that boy's got anything, it's stubbornness."

"You're telling me," Fiona scoffed. "You're my last resort. If he doesn't listen to you, I'm gonna have to figure something out."

"I'll try," Amara told her, dropping her bag onto the table, before she made her way upstairs. She walked into the room, the door already open, and stepped in front of Lip's bed. "Hey," she smacked his bare back, making him groan. "You lazy piece of shit. Get up."

"I told you," Lip's voice was muffled due to the pillow as he spoke. "I dropped out so I can take care of Karen and my baby."

"You don't even know if it's your baby," she pointed out, yanking on his foot, which he quickly hid under the blanket. "Lip, stop being a stupid asshole."

"I'm not being stupid," he defended, now sitting up. "Karen needs me."

"Karen has Jody. Also, I thought you two weren't getting back together. That's what you told me the other day. Unless it changed...again."

"No," Lip told her. "No, we're not back together. Honestly, I don't even have feelings for her anymore."

"So what the fuck are you doing?"

"I'm not gonna be Frank," he stated simply.

"Well, you're being a dumbass right now, so I think you're already on the road to being Frank."

"Get out."

"Only if you come to school today."

"Nope," he flipped back around, so his back was facing her.