05 | worst birthday ever

★

"THINK IT'S POSSIBLE FOR a guy to be named Jody, and not be a douchebag?" Lip asked, taking his phone away from his ear, and Amara dropped the t-shirt she was looking at, following after him as he started to walk again. Amara swung the plastic shopping bag in her hands, accidentally hitting Mandy with it, and the other girl smacked her thigh with her own bag, smirking.

"Ever thought about calling him Choady?" Mandy questioned.

"Wait, why?" Amara wondered, a confused look growing on her face as the other three turned to glance at her. "What's a choad?"

Ian snorted, smacking her back. "Sometimes, you are so innocent it blows my mind."

"Well, what the hell is it?"

"Like a tiny dick," Mandy explained, nudging her shoulder. "Come on, you slept with that Kyle guy freshman year. You should know what it means."

Amara laughed. "Yeah, he was pretty small."

"Tool hijacked my sex buddy," Lip said with the shake of his head.

"She's everybody's sex buddy," Amara reminded him, and he shot her a sour look, which made her grin in response.

"Revisionist history," Ian commented.

"What?"

"More than a sex buddy."

"I can't believe you want back to her after she fucked Frank. You're an interesting person, my dear Lip."

"Shut up. And no, that was just my brain doing the thinking while my ass was doing the talking."

"He has a sweet ass," Amara whispered to Mandy, who nodded in agreement. "It's bigger than mine. Kinda annoying."

"You guys wanna join us on the ice cream truck later?"

"Can't," Ian answered. "Volunteering at the VA."

"Waste of time," Mandy said.

"It's gonna look good on my West Point application."

"You know, you should be figuring out how to work the system," the blonde instructed as they walked out of the strip-mall. "Instead of playing into it."

"America's a meritocracy."

"They don't even make bootstraps, anymore. So how the hell are you supposed to pull yourself up by them, dumbass?"

"Ooh," Lip muttered, playfully punching Ian's chest. "Dumbass. Hey, I'm totally stealing Choady, by the way."

"Did you know that the trigonometric moment problem has infinite many solutions if the Toeplitz matrix is invertible?" Ian asked, his eyes scanning the paper in his hands. Amara looked up from the page she was writing on, her face scrunched in confusion.