09 | she seems pleasant

AMARA GLARED AT THE DCFS officer with a clenched jaw as she showed out all of the minor Gallagher siblings, anger bubbling up in her chest as Debbie looked back to her in pleading, eyes welding up with tears, carrying Liam. Fiona trailed behind all of them, and Lip was the first to break the straight-line formation as he darted over to her, quickly lowering his mouth onto hers before the unnamed woman pulled him away.

"None of that."

"Oh, fuck off," Amara sneered. "You don't have to make it obvious to everyone about your jealousy of never getting laid."

Despite the situation, Lip and Ian cackled before crawling into the van, and Jimmy appeared out of nowhere, jogging over to them. "What the hell is happening?"

"Child protective services," Fiona said shortly.

"They're taking us away."

"Relax, Debs, it won't last, okay? What was it last time, a week?"

"Nine days."

"Twenty bucks it we'll be back in five," Lip grinned. "Make it three with Amara knowing this time."

She smirked mischievously, eyeing the unnamed woman up who shifted under her stare. Amara twirled around the kitchen knife in her hands, mouthing: "You're next."

"All right, Amara," Fiona shook her head and grabbed the weapon from her grasp. "No need to get yourself locked up as well. Oh, can I get their placement addresses now?"

"Not until intake interviews are complete," the woman answered.

"Who reported us?" Fiona asked, but she received no response. "Come on!"

The van door slammed, and Amara frowned as the vehicle sped away down the road. Silvia let out a shout of anger, before spinning on her heel, and storming back into their house.

Amara ran a hand through her hair. "God, we are so fucked."

Amara hadn't had time to write with all of the drama and chaos that had been going on in her life. But now, despite being in the worst situation imaginable, Amara's hand brushed across the paper in front of her as the words flooded out of her mind. This was the worst feeling in the world to her. The feeling that she was useless.

And she was.

She couldn't do anything to get the Gallagher's out of the system. She couldn't save them this time. And she hated it. Her brain had raced with countless ideas, but she knew none of them would work. So now, she was panic writing. The worst kind of writing.

Her foot bounced absentmindedly as her hand scribbled down the words appearing in her mind, and before she knew it, she had already written three pages. Swatting her cramped hand in the air, she winced, flexing her fingers.

She bit her lip, and abruptly pushed herself up as she stalked to the house over. When she walked in, she immediately spotted Fiona cleaning up the living room in complete silence. She glanced up as Amara shut the door behind her. It didn't take her long to notice the tears in the older girl's eyes. Amara offered a sad smile.

"Where should I start?"

"Amara-"

"No, Fiona, they're my family too. And you don't deserve to go through this alone. Which room should I start in?"

A small, grateful grin appeared on Fiona's face. "It'd be great if you could do the dishes and go from there."

Amara firmly nodded. "On it."