4 -- GOODBYE, SWEET GIRL

Warning  --  mention of suicide

Laurent had called Larry to pick him up from the studio.  Larry could barely make out what Laurent was trying to say, his breath was hitching and he was hiccuping so badly.

"She's .... she's dead, Larry, Christina's ...... dead ....."    Such an unreasonable and unexpected statement didn't compute in Larry's brain at first.  The usual question at such a time, 

"What do you mean, Lau, she's dead ?"

"She killed herself.  She committed suicide, and sent ..... sent me the note"  A sob broke Laurent's speech at the other end of the phone.  "Can you come get me ?"  

"On my way.  Stay put, OK ?  Just stay put, give me ten minutes"  The first thing that went through Larry's brain was that it couldn't be true, it just couldn't be.  This was a nightmare.  The nightmare that just kept on giving.  Chuck and Dave looked at Larry suspiciously, knowing he wouldn't be telling them much of his own volition.  They heard the tone of his voice, his body language change.  They knew that Larry didn't want them there in the first place, but they had at least persuaded him that all they were here to do, was help.

"Tell us, Larry"  Chuck demanded

"Um, when we get back, OK ?  I just need to go ...."

"Is he in danger ?"  

"NO.  He's just upset.  I ...... shit, please can we do this when we get back !"  he was yelling at them now, enough for Michaela and Kayden to turn in surprise at hearing their father raise his voice, wondering why he was so upset.  He tried his best to give them a small, reassuring smile.

"I know you're not babysitters, but please ..."  he motioned to his children, now frustrated beyond words that the two hulks were stood in his way, preventing him from getting to his love.  His love that needed him.  His heart hurt, and tears brimmed his eyes at the thought of Laurent sitting in the studio, reading and re-reading Christina's note, as he knew he would.  Making himself believe she killed herself because what he had done, and his behaviour towards her, was the straw that broke the camels back.  He would tell himself that, until he believed it was the truth.

Hence why Larry had to get to him fast, to stem the tide of stupidity and ridiculousness that would flood Laurent's brain and his heart.  Chuck and Dave could read the anguish and determination in Larry's face though, so they stepped aside.

"What do you think this is, a fucking prison ?  Out the way, I gotta go ...."

"I'm coming with you"  Chuck insisted, "just to make sure he's OK"  

"He's not OK"  Larry grumbled at him, getting in his face, "and there's nothing you can do to change that." 

--  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --

While he waited for Larry, and as he calmed down enough to focus more on what he needed to do next, Laurent called Jack and told him about Christina. 

"We need the whole goddamn three ringed circus again, Jack" 

"Why ?"

"Christina's dead, she committed suicide, and sent me the note"  Laurent's tone was flat, but not entirely unemotional.  But Jack knew that was because he was only doing what was required, to try to detach himself, emotionally, from the situation in hand.  Only, it wasn't possible.  It would never be possible.  He knew Laurent was all business when he needed to be, but he wore his heart on his sleeve, and he cared deeply about everything and everyone that crossed that heart.  So, he knew how badly Laurent must be feeling this.