13 -- IT'S OVER ?

^ ^ ^ ^  Seb Cole   ^ ^ ^ ^ 

Warning  --  Violence

As they stood in the reception area, Laurent hugged his daughter to him, tightly.  He whispered in her ear, 

"You're going home to daddy and Kayden, and Miss Leyla, OK ?  A police officer will grab you really quick once you're outside the door, and take you to daddy.  Don't be scared.  He's letting you go home, sweetie."  She looked up at him, her small arms still hugging his waist tightly.

"Are you coming home too, papa ?"  His heart missed a beat, and his breath caught.  From the mouths of babes to God's ears.

"Not yet, my love, but soon."  Seb gestured for him to hurry up.  "Give daddy and Kayden a huge hug and kiss from me, OK ?  What's wrong ?"  Michaela started to cry.

"I don't want to leave you, papa !  He doesn't like you, I'm ...... I'm worried !"  Laurent hugged her tighter and kissed here head over and over again, showering the hair that reminded him of her father's with kisses and his love, as if transferring that love by proxy to Larry.  

"I'll be OK, don't worry for that, Princess.  I need you to go home and look after daddy, OK ?  He needs you.  Can you do that for me ?"  She nodded  "Good girl.  I'll see you soon.  I love you."

"Yeah, yeah, enough already."  The arrangement was that an unarmed officer would wait outside the doors to the studio, in Seb's view.  Laurent would unlock the door and let Michaela out.  Of course he would have a gun trained on him, just in case he decided to do a runner.  Then the officer would take Michaela to Larry, then for a debrief.  Laurent held his daughter's hand as they walked towards the door, kissing her head as they walked.

"Remember what I said, Princess.  Give daddy lot's of love, he needs it, now more than ever."

"Yes, papa" she sniveled, her voice shaky, her body trembling.  She really did not want to leave him.  He would be all alone, she thought.  "I want to stay !"

"No, you don't."  Laurent told her, "Now, go."  He unlocked the door, and saw the officer a few steps away.  "Go !"  he yelled and closed the door quickly.  He turned and rested his back against it, as he closed his eyes in relief.  Cole ushered him back inside.  It was just him and Cole now, as he had let all the other hostages go earlier in the day.  He didn't really need them now, he concluded, his beef wasn't with them, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  They had served their purpose.  He had demeaned, denigrated, and humiliated them to his satisfaction.  He had done a significant amount of damage to the small group of people, and he was happy with that achievement.  

He had bargained with the boss for Jamie and Makai too.  The would face jail time, for sure, but Seb had told the police that he had threatened their lives if they didn't help him, that they were basically forced to do this with him.  So they had gone too.

It was so quiet.  All this space, and only two people now.  Laurent looked around at what was once his second home.  He remembered the good times he and his "guys"  had had here.  The blood, sweat, and tears that echoed around this room, and the other's.  He could hear the laughter, and the arguments, he and Larry had even made love right here on this floor, when he had first bought the studio.  All the good memories, overshadowed by the bad.  He would sell it, he thought.  He wouldn't even be able to be here anymore.  Assuming he would be here ......

He didn't know where to go, or what to do.  He wasn't going to lie, he was worried now, really worried as to how this would play out.  He knew the media and police were still outside the doors.  As long as he was being held, until this ended, they would still be there.  And so would Larry.  All the other relatives, and friends, and his guys were gone, to debrief, home, wherever, he didn't know.  But it was just the two of them now..  He cared about the outcome, of course he did, he didn't particularly want to lose his life, especially not like this.  But now he didn't need to worry about Michaela or his guys.  They were gone, and they were safe.