Chapter 19

Friday 9:30 am

Daylight banished some of the demons of the night.  When Megan awoke the following morning, she felt a bit better, at least physically. She got out of bed, leaving her clothes in a heap on the floor. She was staring at the clothes in the wardrobe, trying to make up her mind, when she heard the knock she hated. "I'm dressing," she called out in annoyance.

Hearing the footsteps retreat made her smile. She continued studying the clothes in front of her. She wanted jeans. She wanted a sweatshirt, and most of all she wanted her sneakers back so she could run and get out of here. There were no pants and no shorts, only skirts and dresses. How feminine. He doesn't want me to wear pants, tough. Again, she reached for her dirty clothes from yesterday, then as a concession to the dirt, a clean red tee-shirt from the wardrobe. Seeing that Erik had provided socks, she slipped those on her feet too. Fully dressed, Megan felt much more ready to face him. She sat on the bed composing herself the best she could. She didn't have long to wait. This time when the knock came, Erik walked in at the same time.

"Morning," she said sweetly.

"Good morning, sweetheart, how are you feeling?"

Megan smiled for real. She felt like a small battle had just been won with the jeans. And that's how you're going to win this one too, she told herself, one step at a time. "I'm feeling much better thank you, and you?"

Her tone puzzled him, but he wasn't about to admit it. "I'm fine. Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Starved." Megan hopped off the bed. "Are we eating here or someplace nicer?"

She couldn't hold back the comment, and for an instant her face paled as he considered what she said, and how he felt like reacting to it. He chose humor.

"That's up to you. Can I trust you to eat at the table, and not try to knife me?"

She deflated before his eyes. "Oh Erik, don't you think by now I know that you're stronger than me," she replied, lifting up her wrist.

A shadow crossed his face. "I'm so sorry about your arm. I don't want to hurt you. I really don't. Let me see your wrist, please." Erik went over to Megan, who dutifully held up her wrist to be examined. "It's not broken," he pronounced, moving it back and forth, "but it is swollen. Would you like me to get some ice for it?"

She nodded. He turned around, ready to leave the room, but then he spun back, suspicion highlighting his face. "Wait for me here, please." He ground out the last word. Megan, catching the look in his eyes, sat down on the chair. He nodded in approval as he left. She stared at the open door, dreaming, but not moving. Erik returned with a bag filled with ice cubes.

"Unlocked door, and you didn't make a run for it, babe. Dare I hope my company is improving to you?" His words were sarcastic, but she caught a note of hope in his voice. She held out her wrist, wincing as he applied the ice pack.

"No, I'm not going to lie to you, and say I want to be here. I didn't run, because I gave you my word I wouldn't try to escape for two weeks. And my word is good."  She tried to speak with conviction, but her eyes darted to the side.

"Sure," he laughed, pressing the ice down harder than he had to. "And now I can just leave the front door unlocked too, because you gave me your word, right?"

Megan annoyed at his tone, glared at him from the corner of her eyes. "Please do."

Kachunk. The ice bag dropped to the floor. Erik took Megan by her shoulders and squeezed. She started to crumple under his grip, but he held her upright.