Chapter 30

Saturday 8:00 am

Exhausted by the manic nightmare her life had become, Megan slept through the night, but in the morning she too lay on her bed, thinking.  Erik was insane, that much she knew for sure.  No sane person could have done this to her.  No sane person could be so cruel one minute, and then seem so regretful and sad the next.  Last night echoed in her mind like an overplayed song.   My finger.  He almost broke my finger.  And he would have done it too, if only... Shivering, she wrapped her hands around each other, trying to warm them up, trying to protect them.

Hard, dark thoughts chased across her mind.  Was he going to hurt her more?  Break her finger like he'd promised?  Was he going to kill her?  Her nails tightened on the covers till they almost ripped them apart.  I don't want to die!  She cried inside her head.  What am I going to do?  What am I going to do?

The answer struck her like an anvil.  Love is supposed to flow two ways. 

I'll do whatever I have to do.

The whisper of the doorknob turning broke her reverie.  She clutched her fingers into her hands so deep that red half-moons were left behind by her nails.  Whatever I have to.  Her full teeth smiled up at Erik.