Chapter 48

Saturday 1:15 pm

Despite her fear of discovery, Megan tucked into her steak with relish.  It felt good to have a knife in her hand, even if she couldn't use it the way she wanted to.  Erik whistled in admiration as she finished, quickly removing the knife.

"Whew, if I'd known you were that hungry, I would have made you two."

She wiped her mouth.  "You're a good cook," she admitted. "I guess I worked up an appetite," she added with a shy smile and a blush. Remembering the way she had tried to distract Erik from thinking about the letter too much a few minutes ago.

He laughed.  "Makes me want to work up another one, how about it?"

She shook her head.  "After you deliver my letter, then—" she smiled like a cat, her tongue passing over her lips, wiping them clean of sauce.  "then who knows," she finished innocently, but her eyes gleamed.

His smile shifted as he watched her. Her words were teasing, but her looks seemed practiced.  He didn't trust her; it was too early.  She had been truthful when she'd denounced her boyfriend as an idiot.  Ex-boyfriend, he amended, smiling to himself.  But other times, those lips had lied like a rug.  Unfortunately for her, she was a lousy liar.  Her eyes gave her away every time.

Erik stared into those eyes now.  Was she playing a game or was she sincere? He couldn't quite tell.  His next words were designed as a test.  He watched her face closely to judge her reaction.

"Megan, I'll need to leave you alone for a few hours, and I'm not just going to lock the door.   Are you going to fight me?"

She tried to gauge her answer carefully, but her body shook as she spoke and the fear made its way into her voice.  "No, I won't fight you."

He breathed a sigh of relief.  If she'd answered yes, he would have known she was being honest now, but he wouldn't have trusted what she said before. If she'd toyed with him, answering flippantly or seductively, he would have known he was being played with.  But her simple no said she was feeling beaten.  A shame in some ways, the fights had been enjoyable, but compliance was what he had wanted from the beginning. Love was secondary. It always had been. He grinned, running his fingers through her hair.

"Good, go take your shower.  I know you still feel sticky from the orange juice." 

She grimaced, but went into her bedroom.  In a minute, he heard water running from the shower.  Whisking their dishes away into the kitchen, Erik left them lying in the sink then returned to her room.  A cold suspicion suddenly crossed his mind.

"Sweetheart?" he called.  "Do you need anything?"

His relief upon hearing her voice coming from the shower was intense.  He was surprised at how his heart slowed down to normal.

"No, I'm fine."

"Good, let me know when you're done, and I'll get going delivering your letter." 

That oughta hurry her up, he thought.  He hadn't realized how much he wanted to get the trip over with.  The sooner Jean thought Megan was okay, the sooner he could stop worrying about a search party.  Erik wanted the letter delivered.  And he wanted Megan by his side and away from the cabin as fast as possible.  The cabin had served its purpose well.  Its isolation had let him do what he wanted and not get caught, but it wasn't perfect.  People knew about it. He couldn't stay here forever, but he also couldn't take Megan with him till it was safe.  A few more days and then he'd be sure he could trust her, and if he couldn't... well, no one could say he hadn't tried. 

He took the handcuffs that he carried out of his back pocket and fastened one end around the bed frame. Leaving the room, he left them for Megan to see when she got out of the shower. Silver gleamed against the dull black metal.