Chapter 65

Saturday 5:25 pm

"Do you want to die, Megan?  Is that what you really want?  To die?"  Megan shifted, though her body didn't move on the bed. I don't want to be hurt anymore.  I hurt.  I hurt.  I want to go away. The voice persisted, not letting her rest.  "Then you want to die.  You never want to see Erik punished.  You never want to go back to school, to find out who would have become.  You don't want to get a job, get married, have children. You want to just fade away and be forgotten?" They'll punish Erik for me.  They'll get him. Megan argued back.   They won't forget me. "Oh yes, they will," the voice insisted.  "People will forget.  They'll get angry. They'll feel sorry, and then they will forgetIt's life, and you're leaving it.  All the joy, all the pain, you won't ever eat a chocolate mint sundae with double whipped cream again.  You won't ever cry at a foreign film or dance in the middle of a thunderstorm.  You won't care, but you won't be, either. What good is knowing but not feeling?"  Please, Megan cried, I tried.  I tried to get away.  I tried to run.  I hurt so much.  I don't want this pain.  I want to go away, now. The voice wouldn't let up. "Part and parcel, take away the pain and how do you know what pleasure is?  Live, Megan.  Get back at Erik, be president of the United States or live in the streets, but don't give up, don't let him win."  A flash shot through her. Let him win? The voice pounced on the uncertainty it heard.  "He's winning.  You're dyingHe's winning the game. Your game."  No, Megan thought to herself, it's my life.  My game.  I won't let him win.

A flutter of a pulse, gentle as a butterfly's wings, crept into Megan's wrist. Color slid back into her cheeks, blushing them with pink.  She opened her eyes.