Chapter 75

Saturday 6:32 pm

Megan ran.  No coat, three sweatshirts, jeans slipping down her hips, she ran.  The rain had slowed down, but it was still so wet and so cold.  The air seeped into her, soaking right through the first layer of sweatshirt.  Fog clouded up the sky, draping the trees in mists and shadows.  What was left of the leaves on the trees dripped down in wet cold pats.  She saw shadows everywhere she looked.  In contrast, the cabin was an oasis.  Warm amber light poured from its porch light, offering shelter.  She felt like a moth pulled to the flame.  She flew away.  Ignoring the ice building up in her chest, she ran out of sight of the cabin and its welcoming porch light—straight into darkness.

Ice changed to fire in her chest as she ran.  Panting, wheezing, she came to a stop.  Her throat wanted more air than she could give it.  The coughing fit that hit her left her drained and weak. It felt like somebody had tried to sandpaper her throat away.  She fell to her knees, soaking the bottom half of her legs as she fought to get her breath back.  Slowly, she pulled herself back up, looking around in surprise.  She couldn't see.  She couldn't see anything.  Nothing had ever prepared her for true darkness.  She knew there were trees with jagged branches, ready to scratch her face.  Sharp rocks ready to trip her feet, but she couldn't see them.  Megan stared up at the sky.  Clouds hid the moon and stars; there was no help from above.  She lifted her hand up towards her face, but couldn't see the fingers on it.  Her hand was shaking.  It was so cold! She blew on her fingertips, trying to warm them.  Then she just stood still, surrounded by trees, animals and dark.  She stood still, fear and cold creeping inside her.

A branch cracked and she jumped.  Which way had it come from? She spun to the left, the right.  Which way was Erik's cabin?  She twisted around again trying to orient herself. A branch scratched her face.  It felt like a claw. She shoved it out of the way with her hands, then stuffed her hands into her pockets.  Her fingers met warm plastic.  The flashlight!  How could she forget that she had that? Pulling it out of her pocket, she flipped its button on.  Which way should she go? The white beam that shot from the flashlight seemed a miracle.  Follow the light, Megan, and be free.  Only one problem: she controlled the beam.  Though she could avoid getting branches in her face, the flashlight didn't know which way was safe either.  Bits of mist and fog danced in its light.  Taking as deep a breath as she could, Megan closed her eyes and said a prayer.  Rain dripping down her neck was her only answer.

Water.  Water was the answer.  It could save her.  Follow the stream, and you'll reach civilization.  She began to laugh hysterically.  She couldn't see the stream, and thanks to the rain, she couldn't hear it either.  Her savior was turning into her killer.  Already she was half soaked through; death by exposure was getting more likely by the minute.  And what about wild animals?  Bears, wolves, mountain lions?  Will they be scared by a flashlight or drawn to it?  What should I do?  What if I step on a snake and it bites me?  What if I just get lost?  Megan started to giggle. I'm going to die, she decided.  Tonight, here in these woods, I'm going to die and Erik won't even be directly responsible, she laughed to herself.  Isn't that a kick?  I'd like to kick him.  Kick him really, really hard. Foot raised, she paused in midair.  I could go back to the cabin now, and he might not hurt me.  I could be warm and dry... And dead.

She headed deeper into the woods.