Chapter 36

Friday 11:01 pm

Told not to move, Sean didn't.  He sat on his bed, cursing the genetics that made him less than 6 ft tall, a lot less.  Fingers itching, he watched as Paul and Matt rifled through his stuff, his personal property.  Jean sat on the bed next to him, peppering him with questions, her nice girl act long gone.

"Erik never said how far away this cabin was, right?  Did he say there were other people around?  Is it a summer spot?  A place for tourists?  Did he fish?  Come on, give me something!"

Sean shook his head in silence as he stared at Jean.  Man, she was hot when she was angry, that red hair all damp and sweaty, those curls all tangled together.  He kept picturing her all hot and sweaty for another reason, multiple reasons that he would personally give her.  He grinned.  Jean noticed his smile.

"Did you remember something?"

Sean felt a strong desire to make her pleased with him.  Maybe if he gave something, he could get something in return.  "I know he went hunting.  He was pretty good with a gun, used to get deer.  He showed me a picture once.  Man, that buck was huge!"

Jean went white.  "Good with a gun.  No!"

Matt heard her cry out.  Forgetting about her blowup outside, he immediately sat down next to her.  "It's okay," he soothed.  "You heard Sean, this guy loved Megan.  He wouldn't really hurt her." He offered her his shoulder.  "Don't worry, I'm sure she's fine." 

Jean didn't hesitate, needing to feel safe right now, and even more importantly, not feel alone.  She nestled into his arms and let him stroke her hair.  His hands felt wonderful, firm and strong, yet gentle as they swept through her curls.  She wanted to stay there forever, and the glow showed on her face.  Matt felt her surrender, her body relax and uncoil for a few minutes.  It made him feel good, feel needed, he suddenly had the strongest desire to protect her from the world. 

Sean turned in disgust.  So much for give a little, get a little, two-faced slut. "Are you guys through, yet?" he asked, looking away from the two lovebirds on his own bed, no less. "Cause I've got a test tomorrow."  Sulking, he eyed up his clock, "make that today."

Jean lifted her head off Matt's shoulder and glanced over at Paul, who was systematically pulling things out of drawers, and just as systematically not putting anything back.  "Anything?" she asked almost dreamily.

"No, Looks like he took most everything with him when he left," he said.

Sighing, Jean pulled herself out Matt's arms.  "Sean, if you find anything, let us know.  Megan's life could depend on it."

He nodded.  Could she be more melodramatic?  Typical female, he thought in disgust.  She wasn't that cute anyway.  He stared at the mess around his room.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, was where it belonged.  Tomorrow he would personally report them to the Campus police.  He touched his sore neck, then his mouth.  The blood on his lip had dried, but still it flaked off in his hand. He rubbed his fingers together, rubbing the blood in, taking it back.   He could hurt them too.

Paul stood in the door frame.  "You find anything, you come get us, or I promise you.  I'll personally kick your puny ass."

Thoroughly disgusted at the actions of his roommate, Matt pulled himself away from the warmth of Jean's body.  He didn't want to leave Jean.  He had a feeling, once the moment was broken, it might be broken forever. But he also couldn't stand to see this side of Paul any more.  He knew the guy had to be worried about his girlfriend but that didn't give him leave to be a sadist or total jerk.  Matt had searched both closets and found nothing, but at least he had tried to put things back where they belonged.  Jean started to follow Matt but then a thought occurred to her.  She turned at the doorway.  Taking a pen off Sean's dresser, she scribbled her phone number on the back of a comic book.  She handed it to him, hoping this was the last time she'd have to be nice to the little creep.

"Please Sean, anything, call us, okay?"

"And you'd better do it," Paul added from the hall.

Sean stared in disbelief at Jean. She 'd written on DarkFyre, a new Indie comic that he'd just bought where the main babe wore flaming underwear.  He'd even gotten the artist to sign it.   It was a total collector's piece and she'd ruined it!  Time for some payback.  Pretending to close the door, Sean put the chain firmly in place before he called Jean, and just Jean, back. 

"Jean, wait."

She turned around in a flash, motioning to Matt and Paul to wait for her near the steps.  Sean's face was bisected by the door as it peered out at her.

"Albion Lake.  Erik used to go up there all the time," Sean whispered, then slammed the door shut, twisting the lock tight.  She pounded on the door.

"Wait!  Please tell me more."  But he refused to open up, and she heard other hall doors opening around her.  She flew back to the stairs.

Sean smiled.  Nothing like helping a friend to make you feel good.  His smile changed as he looked around his room.  Man, it was a total mess.  It would take him hours to get things back where they belonged.  They'd threatened him, destroyed his place, and they still wanted his help?  Screw that.  He'd done the right thing.  They could rot for all he cared, and for what, some lousy, manipulative skirt.  He'd seen right through Megan from the first, pretending to be nice to his best friend and then dumping his ass.  He'd warned Erik that he was making a mistake dating that blonde trash.  But no way he'd help the trash's friends! 

Sean checked the windows, double checked the lock on the door.  It was finally safe.  Reaching under the mattress he'd been so careful not to move from, he pulled out an old photo.  Within its white frame, the dead deer stared up at him accusingly, its yellow eyes shining in the sunlight off the hood of the car.  Sean's own face beamed up at him.  There he was on one side of the deer, Erik, gun in hand, stood by the other.  The blue waters of Cameron Lake glistened peacefully behind them.