Chapter 83

Saturday 7:30 pm

"Don't ever ask," Jean warned as she called Matt back into the room.

"Wouldn't think of it," he grinned.  "You missed a button."

"What?" She looked down at her sweater.

He flicked his fingers on her chin.  "Gotcha!"

She didn't crack a smile. "Let's go," she paused, Matt started to say something else but she stopped him.  "Now," she said firmly, ignoring the smirk in his eyes.

She waited while Matt helped Sean put on his shoes.  Then he and she maneuvered him down most of the steps of the hotel.  Once he was certain that Jean wasn't going to let Sean go bouncing down the rest of the stairs, Matt left them to settle up with the bartender.

"We're taking our friend home now," he told him.

"But he's paid up for the night," the man protested.

"We want to make sure he's okay," Matt explained. "Get him back to school.  Let him sleep it off in his own bed, but thanks for all your help," he added, shaking his hand.

The bartender took it.  "No problem," he replied, relieved that Sean was out of his care. "You be careful out there," he warned Matt.  "Your girlfriend's got a mouth on her."

"Yeah, but she knows how to use it," Matt replied with a wink. 

The man laughed, "Come back any time," he called out.

"Definitely," Matt replied. 

He joined Jean at the front door.  Draped like an unloved vampire, Sean hung on her shoulder.  "You are so hot," he mumbled, trying to reach her ear.  For some reason, his hands refused to work.  Jean shoved him at Matt.

"You take him for a while."

Matt caught him on the first bounce.  "OK, Sean, we're leaving now," he said, speaking very slowly.  "We need to find your car.  Where is it?"

"Out there," Sean giggled, reaching for Jean again. 

She sidestepped his arms and sighed, "Matt, what are we going to do?"

"I know what I want to do to you, baby!"  Sean laughed.

All three of them went outside.  Two of them did it without tripping.  Pulling Sean back up by his elbow, Matt looked around. The light was pale.  It cast ghost shadows on Jean as she walked around the parking lot.

"Which one?" she asked Sean, pointing to the cars around her.

"None of 'em!" he sang.

Matt dropped him to the ground. "We need to sober him up.  Wanna get us some coffee inside?"

"No," she grinned, but it wasn't the nicest grin in the world.  She sat down in the gravel next to Sean.  "I have a better idea.  Seany," she cooed.  "Seany, sweetie, I have something for you."

Sean brightened.  "What?  Is it bigger than a bread box?" He giggled again, "Is it bigger than two round, warm, bread boxes?"

Jean rolled her eyes in the dark, but her lips pouted into his ear.  "It's a secret.  I can't show you till we get back to campus, and I don't have a car," she finished sadly.

"I have a car!" Sean seemed to have forgotten that Matt was even there.

"Good Seany," Her voice applauded then dropped hard.  "Where is it?"

"Hmm," He pushed his hands, locking his fingers together. "This is the church, and this is the steeple.  Open the door and see all the people!"  He smiled up at her. "I parked it near the people, only they weren't there."

"What does that mean?" Matt asked. 

Jean shushed him. "Good, now where were the people?"      

"All gone," he sang, "but they're here now."

"That must mean he parked the car near the hotel," Matt whispered to Jean.

"You're right," she crowed. "You know you really are smart."  Matt blushed at the compliment, even though he well deserved it. "Up!  C'mon, Seany, time to go for a walk."

"Okey-dokey."

Jean, Sean and Matt walked up to the road and peered to the left.  All they saw was the lake and more trees.  To the right, they saw a small park with benches.  Sean's car stood out like a white shadow against the dark green pine it was parked under.

Matt pointed to the car. "That has to be it."

"Yup," Jean pushed Sean on one side while Matt took the other.  Sean groaned. He was tired of being pushed around, plus he was incredibly tired.  But Jean and Matt didn't let up until they'd all made it to the small park. 

"Keys, we need keys, and I'm not looking for them," Jean muttered.  Matt smirked again.  While Jean held Sean upright.  Matt searched his pockets.  He found them on the second try.

"Got 'em!"  He called out in triumph.

"Yes." Jean let Sean slide to the ground.  Pine sap stuck to his shirt and jeans, but he didn't notice, nor did he see the sticky blotches dotting his car.  He slumped to the ground.

"No," Matt shook his head.  "We can't leave him here.  We need him to find Erik's cabin."

"Are you sure?" Jean scowled.

Sean was now clinging to her pant leg like an anemic leech.  She shook her foot, but he didn't let go.  Reaching down to help her pry him off, Matt handed her the keys.  Trying to ignore the lump on her legs, Jean worked at unlocking the passenger side door. Then with Matt's assistance, she pushed Sean inside.  As Matt got into the driver's side, Jean crawled in the back.  She leaned over the front seat to Sean. "Seany, which way?"

"Don't know," he sulked.  Jean had promised him a present, but he didn't see any cake.  Cake always went with presents. 

"C'mon, Seany," she pleaded, then her voice lowered to a husky whisper.  "When we find Erik's cabin," she purred, "I'll give you a surprise you'll never forget."

"Make a right after the bar," Sean yelled.  "And keep on driving!"