Chapter 35

Saturday 9:02 am

He's going to kill me. He's really going to kill me. Megan lay limp against the covers. This can't be real! I'm ready to wake up now, she shouted in her mind. Please let me wake up now! she whispered out loud. Shaking, quivering, Megan picked up the photograph that had started it all. The couple in the photograph laughed up at her. She hated this dark haired girl without even knowing her. She hated Paul for being a lying prick. And she really hated Erik for taking the miserable photo in the first place! She twisted the white square into a tight little ball. Her fingers itched to tear it up, rip and shred it into oblivion. But she knew he would look on the floor when he got back, and if the photo wasn't there, she'd have to watch him gloat. She would have to admit how much it hurt, and she wasn't about to give him that much satisfaction. Besides, she reconsidered, a smile as iced as Erik's forming on her lips. It would be a waste.

Thoughtful now, Megan studied the photo. He didn't know it, but he'd just given her the perfect excuse for a change of heart. His words forced their way into her mind. Enjoy your stay, babe. It may be shorter than I planned. Suddenly she felt afraid.  There was no going back now. Turning the photograph face down, she called out to Erik.