2

Byakuya's POV

I headed to the dining hall the next day. Almost everyone was there. They were sitting in little groups: Mondo, Leon, Hagakure, Chihiro; Junko, Sayaka, and Mukuro, etc. I sat down at a table in the corner and waited for the others.
Suddenly, a felt a hand on my shoulder. My face grew warm as I whipped around to see who it was.

"Naegi?! What are you doing?" I said.
He shrugged. "Everyone else has someone to sit with except you, I was wondering if you'd like to sit with me, Aoi, and Sakura?" He asked.
"No, I don't want to sit with you plebeians," I huffed. I turned around and chewed on my lip. I would rather be alone than sit with them. I assumed Makoto had left to sit with those girls, but when I glanced to my right, he was sitting down!
"Ugh, Naegi, leave me alone! Why do you care anyway?" I said, annoyed. I stood up, looking for another table I could sit at, but there were none left. I walked to the other side of the table so he wasn't sitting next to me. I glared down at the table.
"You just seem so... lonely. And harsh," he replied. "I thought that maybe if you had a friend, you would, I dunno, open up a little. I'm sure you have a soft side."
"Wrong. Us Togamis are not soft." I examined my fingernails.
"Well, still, would you like to hang out sometime?"
I thought about it. "I will think about your offer. Now go away."

Makoto sighed and went over to chat with Aoi.
It's... strange. Talking with Makoto is different, somehow, than with other people. I don't know. Maybe he's just... what did he say? Maybe Makoto is just softer than other people.

I wasn't hungry, so I got up and explored the school. The hallways had different colored lighting, which I found interesting. I walked down a green tinted hallway and found stairs. I walked upstairs to find a library. Perfect. A place I could get away from the others. I selected a book called "Unique Murder Cases From Around the World". It sounded interesting enough to keep me busy for a while.

I was almost done with the book when the door opened. It was Toko Fukawa, that romance novel author or something. She looked surprised.
"O-oh hey, T-Togami. The others s-sent me to get you for a-arts and crafts," she stuttered.
"No, I don't wish to participate in your commoner games," I replied arrogantly.
"B-but they'll k-kill me!" She exclaimed nervously.
"Okay fine, I'll go. But don't expect me to do anything," I sighed.
I scribbled my name and the book title on the checkout paper and took my book downstairs.
The others were waiting for me.

"Hey Togami! Come over here!" Aoi said. I reluctantly walked over to her table. She pointed to some string.
"Pick at least 2 colors," she said.
"Um, black. And green," I said. Aoi cut a long length of green and black string and tied it in a loop at the top. She taped it to the table.

"What kind of commoner thing is this? String?" I asked.
"No, no, look! You gotta make a loop with this string, pull it tight, and repeat! Like this!" She showed me.
Aoi pointed to her wrist. "And it'll end up looking something like this! Come on! Try it, it's fun!"
So I followed her silly instructions and repeated the knots. She showed me how to change colors and finish off the bracelet. She then tied it around my wrist.

"Ta-da! Now you have a friendship bracelet! Don't take it off, though. You have to cut it with scissors, but then all your hard work would be destroyed!" She said.
"What! So I have to keep this ugly thing on my wrist forever?" I said.
"Well, after maybe a few weeks, you could cut it off and make a new one, but for now it's a symbol of the class' friendship!"
"That's stupid," I muttered, but I decided not to cut it off for the time being. I did spend quite a while on that.

And my luck is wonderful, because at that moment Makoto decided to come over.
"Hey Asahina!" He said. He nodded at me. "Did ya get Togami to make a friendship bracelet?"
"Yes," I grumbled. "It's really stupid."
"Hey! I think it looks nice on you," Makoto smiled. Then he gasped. "Ooh! We have matching colors, Togami! I have green and black too!"

"Awesome. Wow. I'm so lucky to have the same colors on your bracelet." (If you got that reference, I love you.)
If anything, I was unlucky. Now people would think that we're like, best friends or something.
"Yay! Matching colors means good friends!" Makoto said, linking his arm through mine. I felt my face heat up and I pushed him away.

"No, we're not friends at all. I'll just cut this off," I snorted.
"No, please don't, Togami!" he frowned. My expression softened.
"Fine. Whatever."
I went over to the table in the corner I had sat at before. I spun my new "friendship bracelet" around my wrist. I guess it wasn't so bad. I looked around at the others. Mondo and Ishimaru glared at each other across the room, A few of the girls were gossiping in the corner, and Makoto and Aoi were showing Hagakure and Leon how to make friendship bracelets. Sakura was sitting by an impressive pile of bracelets, making more and more. How strange. I picked up my book and flipped through the pages to get to my previous page. Genocider Jack. I've heard of that one before. He has a certain way of killing... with scissors. Odd, but I kept reading more. I finished my book and headed back to my dorm before anyone else forced me to make another bracelet.

word count: 999