3

Byakuya's POV
Monday. Classes start today. How exciting. I, of course have top grades in school, so that's not a problem. But school is so boring. Still, I headed down for breakfast, picking up an apple from the kitchen. They don't have top quality food here, but this apple will do for now.
Entering the dining hall, I noticed that the tables had been arranged into one long table. This was horrible. I'd have to sit next to someone. And it was just my luck that the only open spot was at the end of the table next to Naegi.
"Morning, Togami!" Said Naegi.
"Hello, Makoto."
He smiled. "Oh, we're on a first-name basis? Okay."
I coughed. "I mean, hello, Naegi."
He raised an eyebrow. "Hello, Byakuya." He giggled, and I couldn't help but smile.
"So the mysterious, cold-hearted Byakuya can actually smile," he laughed.
"It's not impossible, is it?" I smirked. "Fine. You can call me Byakuya. It still doesn't mean we're friends."
"Yes! Level up in the world of becoming Byakuya's friend!" He did a little cute clap. Maybe... one day I could actually be friends with the commoner. Just not yet, though.
....
The school day was over before I knew it. We didn't learn anything, just reviewed what we already knew. Lunch was quick and we had a free period to explore the school and spend time with our classmates. I discovered a pool that Aoi would probably force us all to swim in at some point.
We had some time before dinner, so I went to the library to read. I picked up a new book, this time "Unsolved Ghost Mysteries." I sat down on a couch to read. And soon after, Makoto came in.
"Oh, hey Byakuya! Are you reading?" He said, smiling. He sure does smile a lot. It's quite infectious, too.
"Yes, what are you doing here?" I replied.
"Oh, I heard some of Toko and Hifumi's books were in the library and I wanted to read them."
Ah yes, the large one with the glasses that loves anime and that nervous girl from yesterday. I looked over at Makoto as he selected a manga from the shelf.
"I think this is Hifumi's," he muttered quietly.
He made a little "hmph" noise as he sat next to me. Right next to me. Our bodies were literally touching.
"Why are you so close to me?" I muttered. I don't think he heard me, though, because he opened the book and started reading.

He muttered things as he read, or gasped a little. It was... I don't know the correct word for it. I suppose it was... cute. Hm.
About an hour later, I felt something on my shoulder.
"Makoto, what are you-" oh, he must've fallen asleep, his head was leaning on my shoulder. Hah. I leaned my head against his, careful not to wake him, and continued reading.
The door opened again not much later.
"Oh, hello Asahina," I said, looking up.
She giggled. "Why are you... like that? Did you two start dating or something?"
"Shut up," I growled. "Makoto fell asleep on me. And I am a heterosexual."

(Y'all see that panel where Ishimaru was insisting he was a heterosexual the whole time? Man, I love that video.)

Aoi laughed. "Oh, okay. But it's dinner time, just saying." Then she walked out of the library.

I poked Makoto. "Hey. Makoto. It's time for dinner." I poked him again. I stood up and carried him in the way you might carry a baby. I'm actually much stronger than I look, and Makoto's not heavy at all. He didn't seem to wake up, so I carried him out of the library and down the stairs. As I walked into the dining hall, I heard a voice.
"Hey, Byakuya, you can put me down," Makoto whispered.
My face flushed and I nearly threw him out of my arms.
"Sorry," I muttered, embarrassed.

"Ooh, were Mr. Togami and Mr. Naegi doing something?" Hifumi chuckled.
"I did see them cuddling earlier in the library," Aoi said.
"Is that so?" Celestia chuckled.
"Quite curious," muttered Kirigiri.
"Bro, something's going on here," said Mondo.
"Shut up, all of you!" I stormed out.
....
Knock knock
"No, go away," I huffed.
KNOCK KNOCK
"I said, go. Away."
KNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCK!
"WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"
"It's Makoto."
I opened the door to Makoto twiddling with his thumbs.

"Come in," i grumbled. I shut the door and stared out the windows. It was raining. Perfect. Matches my mood.
"Why are you so upset?" Makoto asked softly.
"People are annoying," I said.
"People aren't that bad if you get to know them."
"They can't just assume things."

I felt something warm wrap around my waist.
"What are you doing?" I said.
Makoto stepped away. "It's a thing. Called a hug. You hug people when you're happy for them or if they're feeling down. It makes people feel better."

"I know what a hug is. I'm not stupid."
"Okay, come on, let's go back to the dining hall."
Makoto dragged me out of my room. I reluctantly followed.
"Welcome back," Chihiro said.
"Don't talk to me, commoners," I said.

I grabbed a plate and took a bite of my burger. I didn't talk to anyone and I retreated to the library. I picked up "Unsolved Ghost Mysteries" again.
I couldn't read. Thoughts clouded my mind. Why was I so embarrassed they thought something was going on with me and Makoto? He wasn't even my friend.
Was it possible that I had... a crush on him? No, that couldn't be possible.
I am very straight. Very straight. Right?

A/N straight as a ciRcle