Chapter 1: Our own little hell

Chapter one: Our own little hell (Ellie's POV)

My alarm rang for the third time and that's when I was so sick of it, I just decided to get up. 

"Ellie, you're getting late!" My mom's voice flowed through my walls. 

"I'm up!" I called back out, causing my dry throat to ache. I grabbed my water bottle from my nightstand and took a few gulps before sitting up and just staring at the floor. I let out a sigh before stepping out of bed and putting my hair up in a bun. I flicked the lights on, blinding myself before I rubbed my eyes and eased them into the illuminated room. 

I grabbed the clothes that I laid out for today and headed to the bathroom where I got dressed, brushed my teeth, washed my face, all that jazz. I stepped back out while brushing my hair before tying it up in a high ponytail and pulling my converse on. 

I glanced at the time, my eyes bulging out of their sockets. "Shit, shit, shit, shit!" I hissed while grabbing my bag, pulling it over my shoulder, grabbing my phone, car keys, and running out. I halted when I heard what sounded like a car horn. I ran over to my window and peeked through. There was a car in the neighbors' driveway. Wonder who that is. 

"Ellie!" my mom yelled. 

I ran down, grabbed a toast with avocado that my mom was kind enough to prepare for me, an angel, I swear, before bolting out of there. 

"The first day of junior year, you're doing great, Ellie, just be late, that's right," I mumbled to myself while unlocking my car, throwing my bag in the passenger seat, wincing as I realized my laptop was in there before climbing in and hitting the gas, speeding to the school. 

In case you didn't get it yet, I'm Ellie, I'm seventeen and I'm incredibly late for my first day at school. 

Isn't that fantastic? 

Hudson High School. Our own little hell. Well, not quite. I think our school is great and very laid back, sometimes a little too laid back. 

I got there in about ten minutes with five to spare. Five minutes is not enough, I need more time than that to get to my locker. 

"Just give me one spot, God, please," I mumbled under my breath while glancing around, fishing for a parking spot. "Yes!" I cheered as I found one. Unfortunately, someone was about to take it. Absolutely not. I saw it first. 

I hit the gas even harder, causing people to move out of my way and shriek in panic before I swerved and parked. Perfectly. That's right, I am a great driver. I heard the brakes screech of the car behind me while I turned my car off, grabbed my things, and jumped out, locking the car. 

"What the fuck are you doing?!" The guy stepped out of his car. Whoa. He looks like- Forget it. 

"Sorry!" I exclaimed while adjusting my bag and running in, straight to the office to get my schedule. 

That guy looked exactly like him. How is it possible, though? No one's heard from him in two years. It's probably just a coincidence. 

"Ellie Hart, can I get my schedule, please?" I was panting by the time I reached the office. 

She shook her head at me disappointedly before handing it to me. I checked my locker number and dashed to it, avoiding collisions with the people loitering the hallways. I got to my locker, sighing in relief as I opened it, grabbed the things I needed before checking to see where and what my first class of the day was. 

"English Literature, room C24. Other side of the school. Fan-fucking-tastic," I mumbled, resisting a groan while speed walking over there. I got into class as the bell rang, letting out a sigh of relief when I saw that Ashley had saved me a seat.