Chapter 6: Persistence is key

Chapter six: Persistence is key (Ellie's POV)

That's funny. 

I would never have left. 

Yet he did. 

Without freaking telling me. 

I don't blame him for leaving, that did break my heart but I knew that wasn't his fault, there was nothing he could do about it, but telling me was something that was in his control. 

"So you have to leave, completely understandable," I nodded, "But why didn't you tell any of us?" I asked. 

"Because it's not a piece of cake to say goodbye to the people you've been with your whole life. And you-" he stopped himself and took a breath. 

"I what?" I huffed. 

"You were different." 

I was? 

"Because of the stupid crush, we had on each other?" Someone stop me. "Zach, we were fifteen!" Oh no. 

"So? A fifteen-year-old would never want to tell the girl he likes that he's leaving. I didn't either," he shrugged. 

"And the others? Would a fifteen-year-old not even tell his friends? Not even say goodbye?" I glanced at him. 

"I hate goodbyes and I suck at them. You know that. I didn't have it in me to stand there and see you guys for the last time, with you knowing it's the last. As far as I knew, I wasn't coming back here ever again," he explained. 

"Were you just never going to speak to us then? You spoke to Brett, but what about Nathan, Spencer, Ashley? Were you never going to call?" I questioned. I was well-aware of my accusing tone but it is what it is. He left and I was fucking angry. 

"I wanted to call you. I tried. I just couldn't do it. Brett told me how angry and upset you were and I chickened out. I hated feeling that guilty, it fucking sucked," he mumbled. 

I sighed and just stared off into space. 

"You cried," he stated. 

"Was I not supposed to?" I arched an eyebrow at him. 

He stared at me and I could see the faint smile tugging at his lips and he wasn't putting in a great deal of effort to hide it either. I rolled my eyes and scoffed while shaking my head. "You cried over me," he taunted. 

"You're still such an asshole," I sighed. 

"An asshole you cried over. Is that how much you liked me?" he smirked. 

"We were friends too. One kiss as kids didn't change anything, okay?" 

"Why are you so mean? Did something happen while I was gone?" he asked jokingly. 

"Didn't Brett tell you?" I played dumb. I had to know if Brett told him. 

"Didn't Brett tell me what?" he questioned. 

"What happened last year?" He thought for a second but didn't say anything until a minute later. 

"No? What are you talking about?" 

I couldn't tell if he was being honest or lying. He's a good liar, always has been. He used to have a tell. He used to start scratching the back of his ear or fidgeting with his earlobe as if he were wearing an earring. I used to find it funny. But I'm not sure if he still does that. 

"About James?" I prompted. 

"Brett didn't tell me anything," he shook his head. 

I eyed him suspiciously for a long time, staring at him, waiting for him to crack under my gaze. "Are you lying?" I asked.