Chapter 11: Hangover

Chapter eleven: Hangover (Ellie's POV)

A couple of minutes had gone by with utter silence. I felt extremely uneasy just lying in bed with him when we weren't exactly talking, ever since he got back we've just been arguing with occasional moments where we lose our shit and start laughing. I didn't even know if he was asleep or just lying awake like I was. 

I let out a sigh before shuffling around and lying on my stomach, my hands under the pillow before I turned my head in his direction. His back was still facing me but I wanted to know if he was awake. I propped myself up on my elbows and leaned closer to him. 

His eyes were closed but was he asleep or just had his eyes closed and was trying to sleep? There are two tests to conduct when you're trying to find out if they're asleep or not. The voice test and the poke test. 

The voice test, you just whisper their name, no shit, the poke test you poke them, also no shit. 

"Zach," I whispered. Nothing. Okay, so he might be asleep. I leaned forward, being cautious just in case he was asleep, I didn't want to startle him back to reality. I held out my index finger and slowly and gently poked his cheek. Nothing. 

Okay, so maybe he is asleep. 

I huffed and fell back onto my pillow. 

"What the hell were you trying to do?" he asked. 

I gasped because in a room of pin-drop silence he just decided to talk, scaring the shitting hell out of me. "Jesus," I breathed out, "I was checking if you were awake," I whispered. 

"Why? What happened?" he asked, not bothering to turn around to face me or whisper. 

"Shhh! It's a quiet room, can't you just be quiet? I feel like the whole neighborhood could hear you right now," I huffed. 

"What is wrong with you?" he chuckled, lying on his back while holding his hands above his eyes. 

"What did I do?" I laughed, propping my elbows up once again to look at him. 

"You're fucking stupid," he laughed. 

"What did I do?" I asked through my laughter. 

"Ellie, you are so dumb," he turned to me. 

"What. Did. I. Do?" I smacked him with a pillow after each word. 

"You poked me to check if I was awake. Poked me. You poked me.

Is he that much of an idiot? 

"Why is that so funny?" I chuckled. 

"I don't know," he shook his head, muffling his laugh with a pillow. I pulled the pillow away from him and stared at him, laughing along with him. 

My laughter died down way before his but he was laughing like there was no tomorrow. 

"I haven't heard your laugh in a really long time." I lay on my side and held my head in my hand, facing him. 

"Hmm, I don't think anyone has heard my laugh in a really long time," he sighed. 

"You should have called, Zach. I bet I could have made you laugh over the phone," I snickered, trying to lighten the mood. 

"I bet you could have," he chuckled before turning to me, mirroring my position. 

I sighed, tracing circles in the space between us on his bed. "Zach," I cleared my throat. 

I was so doubtful and hesitant to ask him this question but this is one of the rare moments where Zach and I aren't arguing, so I want to ask while I can still get an answer.