Chapter 37: Shattered

Chapter thirty-seven: Shattered (Zach's POV)

"Really?" she laughed while we lay on her bed, talking. 

"I swear," I chuckled. 

It was around noon and we were at her place because her dad wanted her home so I just came with her. We're a packaged deal now. 

"Do you remember that one time we went on that field trip in middle school and you had a little accident?" she snorted. 

I rolled my eyes, "You know you poured water on me. Don't even start with me," I chuckled. 

"You know I didn't," she shrugged. 

I shook my head while eyeing the photographs that she had stuck onto her walls. "I can't believe I looked like that two years ago," I said while looking at a picture of the two of us. We were at the beach and she was on my back, grinning at the camera while I looked up at her with annoyance written all over my face. 

"Why? You were so cute," she laughed. "Your hair like that," she said while sweeping my hair across, plastering it to my forehead, "And your 'I'm cool because I don't care about anything' attitude," she taunted. 

"What about you? 'I carry a camera everywhere because it looks aesthetic' days?" I retorted. 

She pinched me and I winced before laughing. "I took such good pictures. That's why we have those to look at now," she huffed. I looked down at her while she stared at some of the pictures. 

She's so perfect. So beautiful. So stunning. 

She turned to face me and caught me looking. When I looked into her eyes that shone under the sun. Her blue eyes that carried the ocean with hints of grey. I knew that I was in love with her. 

"What?" she chuckled. 

"Nothing," I whispered, shaking my head. She raised her eyebrows at me doubtfully. "Nothing," I chuckled before kissing her. I was in love with her. It felt funny, losing to my own bet. But it's a bet I'd lose happily, every single time. 

We heard the front door open and went downstairs in confusion. Her mom was out with some friends and her dad was supposed to be at work. 

"Dad, hey," she said while he walked in and settled some of his stuff down. "How come you're home?" she asked. 

"I need to talk to you. Is your mother home?" he asked. 

"No, she went out with some friends. What's going on?" she questioned. 

He sighed and looked at both of us. It seemed like he was contemplating whether he should tell her with me here or not. "Oh, what is it? Zach is like family, and with you two together now, he should know," he huffed. 

I felt her grip tighten on my hand while we waited for him to explain further. 

"While I was at work today, one of my patients, a friend of mine, gave me a suggestion, an offer if you will," he began, "There's a job available for me. The hospital is huge, I would be the most senior surgeon there, it's good money," he explained. 

"Mr. Hart, that's great," I grinned. 

"Which hospital, dad?" she asked. 

"It's a little far," he said. 

"Where is it?" she questioned. 

"It's in New York," he answered hesitantly. 

A heavy silence built around us, tension overwhelming the room. "New York City?" she stammered. He nodded.