Chapter 35

As these first few months go on I find Draco start to get more and more distant. At first it was him asking to leave after we ate at lunch earlier and earlier and then it became the whole lunch period. Soon enough I'm spending my weekends with Luna, Harry, Ron and Hermione and not Draco. It really upsets me cause I'd rather spend my free time with my boyfriend. Did I do something wrong? If so, I don't know what I did? I've tried saying school is the excuse but he can't be struggling with it that much, he would've told me.
Right now I'm in front of the grand hall waiting for him, hoping he doesn't blow me off, or worse show up with an excuse. I watch as the time slowly goes from 9:45pm to 10:00pm. It's painful to sit here and watch the time go by honestly. I'd much rather be wasting doing something else then waiting for-
"Hey." I look up from my spot on the floor to see Draco. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get so caught up in stuff," he says.
I roll my eyes and stand. "Kay." I start walking towards the our usual spot, the field.
"What?" he asks. "Are you upset at me?" I shake my head but Draco's long legs catch up quickly and he's already beside me. "What is it? What's the matter?"
I try and bite my tongue but I can't hold back. Not even till we get to the field. "You're always off somewhere else," I stop in spot. "You never have time for me anymore, ever. You'd rather spend time on your own then with your own girlfriend. A-and," I stutter, "you can't even tell me where you're going or what you're doing!"
"I-I can't," be whispers. I watch as Draco looks up and down the halls. "Can you wait till we get to the field? I will explain there."
"So you have time to make up a lie?" I ask.
"No, never," he shakes his head. "I wouldn't lie to you."
"But you'll hide the truth? I don't think that's a big difference, Draco." He grabs for one of my hands but I pull it from him. "Don't."
"Please, I'm not trying to hurt you."
"Well," I hesitate. "Well you are." I can feel my face start to get hot with anger. "You're making me very upset and I just want you to stop. Just go back to being the mean asshole you're used to being. It was so much better then this," I motion towards him.
"You don't mean that."
"I do. At least I knew you cared before."
Draco runs a hand down his face, "I do care about you."
"Then tell me why you can't spend time with me," I spit.
"Cause I'm planning an attack," Draco brings his voice to a whisper. "I'll explain more at the field."
I swallow down any comments and nod, starting towards the bridge. Draco follows. Once we reach the field Draco sits us down on his cape. "Start taking," I say but keep my eyes on the castle.
"Right," Draco sighs. I feel the energy switch to a more calm and mellow one. "As you know, I've been chosen." I stay quiet so he continues, "Chosen by the dark lord."
"Right, and because of it you can't spend time with me?" I ask angrily.
"Yes.. well no but it's what he's chosen me for. I-I..." This seems to really be bothering him if he can't just say it. "I'm supposed to help Bella and some other Death Eaters break into Hogwarts." I turn and face him with a small acknowledgment of worry. He gulps and nods.
"Draco, h-how? How are you possibly supposed to manage that?"
"You know how Potter was using the room of requirements for his little club?" I nod and he continues, "there's a wardrobe in there, the Vanishing Cabinet, and it has a look alike in Digon Alley. You're supposed to be able to use it to transfer items from one place to another but," he stops.
"But what?" I ask quietly.
"I've only managed to kill a bird so far." Draco's looking up at the sky as he admits. I move closer to him and make myself comfortable in his lap. I cup his cheeks.
"I'm sorry."
He shakes his head and looks to my lap. "You have all right to be mad, but," we lock eyes, "this doesn't mean I can start to see each other more."
"Draco."
"No, I'm serious. If anything..." he stops. "It's getting late, let's head back."
"No, tell me."
"I can't. I can't, (Y/N)."