part eight.

" A GAMBLE WITH BROTHERS. "

"what the hell?" the hostile voice that belonged to no other than your older brother, interrupting the moment you longed for throughout this entire night.

jungkook backed up, clearing his throat to face the eyes of yeonjun sending him bitterness back.
the feeling of his hand slipping away from your cheek made everything feel cold.

"goodnight y/n.." he whispered before turning around and walking away.
"you can't be serious. involving yourself with a poker player? he's bad news."

"yeonjun you saw what was going on, least you could've done was respect it." scoffing at your words, he crossed his arms over his chest still seeing jungkook's suit laying on your shoulders.

"respect what? the fact that you were going to kiss a guy like him?"
"no, respect that i am old enough to make my own decisions."

"y/n-"
"goodnight yeonjun." slipping the key in, you entered your room leaving him behind frustrated.
this was not how your night was supposed to end.

cosmopolitan, 11:09pm.
author pov.

it was now 11pm and jungkook had lost hope that y/n was coming, especially it now being 3 hours in the tournament.

and he saw the same man he encountered the night before, the person who he didn't know was related to you.

handling the chips at the tips of his fingers, jungkook shuffled them in his hand awaiting for the person beside him to make their decision.

shuffling chips is something you commonly see at the poker table.
some do it nervously, some habitually, and most just for fun.

gradually adding more chips to his hand of a combination of colors, riffling them to make an optical illusion.

the tournament continuing in a clockwise direction from the dealer, all players were given hole cards and now beginning the pre-flop.

eyeing two people who folded their cards, jungkook pushed all his chips forward announcing an "all in."
merely across from his seat was yeonjun, his poker face stood showing no signs of nervousness nor ego.

underneath jungkook's hand showed nothing but a 5 of hearts and a 9 clubs.
he was calling a bluff, a strategy to gain the pot that was donated and is now his priority.

yeonjun folded his hand, jungkook smirking at the easy forfeit.
going no further than the pre-flop, everyone has been fooled by jungkook's skill.

yeonjun's jaw clenched tightly losing the last session.
the young adult pushed himself up, exiting the table by his results, something a poker player should never do.

letting the burning alcohol prowl down his throat, jaemin patted his back to keep him awake.
yeonjun's concentration was elsewhere, not being able to hold back from confronting the boy his sister was with last night.

"you good?" jaemin noticed his friend glaring at someone from afar, someone who he knew himself.
jeon jungkook. a brother of who he played tournaments with.

jaemin played sessions with taehyung, aware that there was 5 more of them that was some sort of group.

"that jeon kid was about to kiss my damn sister last night. im not gonna let him do that," taking another shot and slamming the empty glass back on the counter, yeonjun sighed.

"and now she's mad at me. we argued last night once that ass turned on his heels."
"why don't you play at a different table? you know, one with less tension." his friend suggests, taking a sip of his drink as well.

"there's more to it jaemin.. there's more to him."
y/n's older brother pointed straight at jungkook, who was playing at the table with a spilling load of poker chips advanced to him.

time skip.
your pov.

it was officially midnight when you snuck out your suite to attend jungkook's tournament.
dressed in a casual attire, you stepped foot on the place you previously went yesterday.

now aware of where his table is by heart, you walked there to see him standing with his party of friends.
you tapped his shoulder, him turning around to stare down at you taken aback.

"my partner being 4 hours late, who occupied your time?" jungkook smiled as you grabbed his hand and pulled him away from his friends who all eyed you guys suspiciously.

"no one more important than this event that's for sure."
"your belated timing says otherwise..." you couldn't help but grin at his teasing.

"go gamble with your brothers already."

cosmopolitan, 1:13am.
your pov.

it was like deja vu, walking through the same corridors on your way back to your room.
however this time you were alone, without a hand to hold, without a scented suit laying over your shoulders, without the same energy you had with jungkook.

this time you just stared down at your phone, making your way back to your room before your brother found out you went to visit jungkook at his game.

after the argument you knew for sure it wasn't a good idea to be seeing him, resisting? something you couldn't do.

though you didn't attend for long, just seeing him win a few sessions made your night a lot brighter.
peeling off your phone case, you grabbed the key that was behind your device and looked up at the door - freezing in cold sweat.

"you snuck out to see him right? the all famous poker player that has every female wrapped around their finger. i expect more from you y/n."

"i shouldn't have to apologize for growing mature." you hissed at him annoyed, watching him step in the way of your room.

"you aren't growing mature, you're acting senseless.." your brother had no space to back down, making you nervous at the scary look his eyes held.

"yeonjun.. if i choose to be around him, i will do so. and if i have to push you away from me to take my own will-"

"can't you see im trying to be responsible for my little sister..? im keeping you out of harms way, that guy that you have the slightest interest in isn't good for you. not him, not one of his friends." his rant left you to give him a look of bewilderment.

glancing upward, your mouth pursed but slightly open and loose. your eyes are fixed on nothing, absolutely dust. yeonjun calls your name, as you blink and refocus.

"i hate to be over protective y/n, but it's for the best. so please.. trust me."