part twenty seven.

" NOT JUST A FRIEND. "

VA BENE CAFFE, 2:05pm.

by day this cafe is the colour of supermarket strawberries, it has that shiny look, and the jazz pours out of the open stall along with the aroma of fresh baked sandwiches.

she takes in a deep breath, sucking in the air that carries a hint of vanilla and lacks the gloomy aura.
nitro infused tea, chai lattes, and sparkling soda on the menu, she couldn't help but be intrigued with what the cafe offered to its customers.

an italian-style cafe in the cosmopolitan hotel serving espresso drinks, gelato & light bites.
the line stood short with individuals seated in their booths but there was always those few business men and women carrying their jackets or purse over their shoulders for some quick breaks from work for food.

va bene is a refreshing departure from the average coffee shop. it offers a variety of freshly prepared items, including soups, salads, paninis, other light fare, and of course, coffee prepared with love by professional baristas.

y/n heard a few gasps coming from the people sitting inside their booths eating when suddenly a voice startled her.

"y/n?" the woman turned her head to be met with taehyungs figure, towering over her because of their height difference.

the customers returned to their conversations after the arrival of the poker player in his causal attire, something unusual to witness.

"thanks for the invite, taehyung."
"thank you for coming." he revealed his box smile and stepped forward with her.

taehyung was always laid back, more goofy and less serious about things, and that's a trait that would make him a really good friend for anyone.

now standing in front of the cash register, the barista had tired eyes, yet there is that glimmer, a give away of her good heart.

she's one of those surviving sparks, one of the ones who held on to who they really are. taehyung asked for his panini to be warmed as y/n ordered a fruit bowl.

she saw her spark glow a little brighter at the mans words, her face more relaxed, a smidge more joy in her eyes, "you're a charmer, mr.kim."

in the cafe they sat, taehyung and y/n, chatting with each other to find ways celebrate jungkook's birthday and catching up.

the snacks, food, music and the smile of someone who was genuinely having a good time, it's a fragment of heaven, a chance to enjoy company and the start to want more.

"a red velvet cake that reads happy birthday jeon jungkook."
"boring," y/n frowns at his response.

"how about you write him a letter? give him something with meaning and i'll handle the cake."
"a letter? about what?"

"you know.. your love for him," before she could utter a protest, he cut her off.
"don't even try lying, he's not just a friend to you."

"but taehyung-"
"i know he still likes you, he's beating himself up for it." the girl sighed back in her seat.

she had been so lost in constructing scenarios for herself ahead that even she surprised herself seeing how far their friendship truly came.

"come on, its better than just a cake."
she fell back in defeat, stabbing her fruit with her fork at his words.

what would she write?

the buttery aroma of the sweets wafted under their nose, the red velvet cakes topped with cream cheese frosting and their own unique decorations.

following that was a stunning ombré rosette cake with layers of red velvet sponge and then sprinkled with crumbs of the red tinted dessert.

down the line behind the glass frames was a sophisticated coconut cake, iced with coconut frosting, generously covered with a handful or two of coconut shavings.

beside that was a cinnamon spiced apple cake drizzled on top with luscious caramel sauce, as bourbon-laced brown sugar buttercream oozed in between.

taehyung ordered the cake as it was packaged nicely in a white box with a clear film to expose the rich velvety layers.

tied with a red bow and an opening to slip in a folded letter, they paid and left the shop.