Chapter 11

To most people, after finding the fortress, they'd expect a celebration of joy, but there was none here.

Only the silent fear looming over them. 

They had been searching for months, and they never really expected to find it anymore. But when they did the trauma of the first fortress began transforming back into reality. 

The first fortress. 

Dream wasn't part of that fight, but he was certain he would've died if he had been. It was where 5000 players were killed, all in a day. 

It was where Technoblade had died. 

And though they all knew it was coming, the reality of finding another one was nothing short of terrifying. 

The last time they found a fortress, thousands died. 

So how were they so sure it wouldn't happen again?

They weren't. 

The trio waited in the hall for the announcement. The players were all gathered there, whispers filling the room. 

The atmosphere was tense and crowded, and by instinct Dream found himself gripping George's hand. He didn't notice though, feeling overwhelmed by the situation surrounding him.

Dream watched as a young boy entered the stage, is blonde hair now in a mess, as his scouting group followed him, their clothes tattered and armor deteriorating. 

Of course it had to be Tubbo and TommyInnit to find it. 

But as Tommy stepped on the stage to make the announcement Dream noticed the bags he had under his eyes and how his legs were shivering. 

He was a victim, shoved into the game by force. Like Sapnap, he'd seen it all, and watched the deaths first hand. But he looked fine. At first glance he seemed just like a slightly more serious version of who everyone knew as TommyInnit. 

But Dream could see through the facade. 

The brave face he put on was a cover up from the trauma he'd seen. He was too young for this, but he was skilled, meaning he was shoved onto the front lines, and he pretended it was completely fine.  He pretended he was okay with this world. 

And in a way they all did too.

And when he spoke, everyone's greatest wishes and worst fears came true. "Everyone, we found the fortress!"

***

The announcement went over the location of the fortress and how they managed to find it.

Dream spoke too in that meeting, going over the plan he and many others has worked on to perfection. 

And when it was over, the players flooded out rushing to make their preparations.

Dream knew those two would never let him live it down that they had found the fortress before him, and yet that wasn't even the first thing on his mind.

For it was George. 

It was always George. 

He sighed. It was already the next day and he was making his was back towards the blacksmiths. The usually quiet store was filled to brim with players, many of them requesting new armor and weapons for the journey, but there really was no rush.

They had time.

When Tommy's scout team had found the fortress, they didn't enter it. Only noting down the coordinates and rushing back. They couldn't risk having the achievement displayed in chat for everyone to see, so as far as Dream was concerned, they didn't know.