Chapter 12

It was dawn and over a thousand players were gathered towards the entrance of the base, all geared up in armor and equipped with their weapons. 

It was a tense atmosphere, many players saying goodbye to their players and friends like it would be their last time seeing each other. 

And George would've been lying if he said he wasn't at least a bit scared. 

It was an atmosphere wherein it almost felt like everyone was expecting to die, like they were ready to die. But despite that no one was trying to stall their visit to the fortress. 

Because despite all the fear surrounding it, it was the only way to beat the game. And it was the only way to be freed. It was an unavoidable obstacle everyone had been anticipating for months. 

So it confused George as to why Dream seemed so worried too. Despite his confident appearance, George noticed his hands shake and the way he avoided talking about it. George thought Dream should've been ready for it by now, after all he had been preparing all this time. 

But what he didn't know, was that Dream wasn't exactly worried for himself, but rather for George.

It had been a week since the announcement of the find, and George had spent the days preparing and learning how to fight. 

He had gotten better with his sword after having practice fights with Purpled and Bad daily, learning the weak points of each mob and how to counter them, yet he was no where near the level of what Dream wished he was. 

But George was firm on coming, and it was obvious nothing was changing that. 

George caught Dream speaking to a few players, presumably giving them orders. He walked towards them hoping to be able to talk to his friend before they left. He looked over towards the people Dream was talking to as they handed him some food, and he couldn't shake off the feeling that they were all looking at Dream strangely. 

But they weren't the only ones, as George caught many players staring him down as he walked past them. And although Dream pretended not to notice, it almost seemed like he was just used to it.

Used to his supposed allies scornfully looking at him, like they were jealous, or maybe wishing him worse.

Like wishing his death.

George's fists clenched as he listened into the conversation, waiting for it to be over so he could grab his friend, but it seemed that it wasn't ending. With a playful pout on his face George instinctively grabbed onto his friends hand pulling on his sleeve.

Dream quickly turned around, noticing George waiting for him, and gave him a smile as the people left.

"What was that about?" George asked, failing to notice how he unconsciously tightened the grip on his friends hand. 

Dream just tilted his head as if it was completely normal. "They just gave me some food, why?"

"I don't know, I felt like they looked at you weird." 

Dream shrugged. "They did?" 

"Yeah, like they didn't like you or something?" George replied. "Did you do anything to them?"

His friend's eyes lit under his mask realizing what he meant, but suppressed his urge to show any signs of anger and shrugged it off once again. "It's nothing." 

George sighed, rolling his eyes, but before he could pester him about it he heard footsteps as the players around him began running out of the base. 

They were already leaving.

"Never mind it, let's go George." Dream said, squeezing George's hand to which he only blushed.