Chapter 23

Was George supposed to like parties?

He didn't really care if he was supposed to, he really didn't like parties.

They were always far too crowded. It was suffocating for him, to be forced into conversations with people he didn't even know, to be cramped in a place he would much rather leave.

And although this wasn't exactly a party in that sense, it sure as hell felt like one.

George sat in the center of the celebratory group, in the dining hall, awkwardly smiling as Sapnap draped an arm over his shoulder, cheers enveloping them.

Dream was right, the trip back home was fast. Teams had dug straight through the walls of the Nether, creating a safe path to the portal, and besides that one ghast accident, they were home before they knew it.

They were alive, they had made it out. The blaze rods had been secured.

And that made them one step closer to beating the game, one step closer to being freed.

Freed from the tyrannical fear that controlled all of them. Freed from the pain and loss that came with it.

This was the first real celebration George had seen in a while, the last announcement being too filled of fear and worry.

But this was genuine happiness, relief, and after so long of the opposite, he almost wasn't used to it.

The dining hall was completely full, every single player from their base was gathered there. It was a celebration, a celebration of their victory, of what they had accomplished.

Which made him feel guilty that he hated being here so much, especially when everyone around him was so happy. But he really couldn't help it.

And it was loud. Really loud. George winced as Sapnap unintentionally screamed cheers into his ear right next to him.

"Sapnap!" He yelled out, knowing he probably wouldn't be heard. And he was right, his friend just ignored him, continuing to laugh and smile like everyone else.

Sapnap was happy, so very happy. He was so unbelievably relieved.

He deserved this, they all deserved this.

"Is it possible that he might get drunk?" Bad whispered to George across the dining table, eyeing Sapnap who was uncontrollably laughing at him.

"There's no alcohol here," George replied, as pushed Sapnap's arm off of him, scooting towards the other direction. Anywhere away from him. "But he probably will anyways. Since he's you know, Sapnap."

Sapnap looked at him, faking a pout, as he went to stand up from where they were eating to celebrate with the crowd.

It was just a bunch of incoherent yells. Yells of pure joy and relief, yet a chaotic mess and nothing more.

A bunch of people were gathered at the center throwing down their weapons, others even breaking them to show that they were done. They were done with this.

They would never have to go into the nether again, it was over.

And although George appreciated the sentiment, he found himself feeling drowned in the crowd of voices, instinctively shifting closer to the person next to him.

Closer to Dream.

George didn't mind the contact, almost completely passing over it due to the overwhelming number of players surrounding them.

And yet he found himself inching even closer to his friend, grabbing onto his arm, almost wanting to pull him away.

Dream laughed at him, almost immediately noticing his uncomfortableness with the situation. George was always like this. "Hey George, do you want to dance with me?"