Chapter 15

The nether was scorching hot. 

As one would expect, but certainly not the most favorable of conditions.

George's first instinct was too complain, but he already knew that he would be shut down anyways. 

"Nothing compared to Florida." Dream joked causing George to roll his eyes. 

No, this was certainly worse than Florida. 

George looked ahead of him and immediately spotted the fortress. It was almost impossible to miss, situated in the middle of a giant lava lake, to which many players were already bridging to. 

Dream adjusted up his mask as he observed his surroundings. "This fortress location is shit." He commented, causing George to tilt his head as he looked at him. 

"Why's that?" He asked. 

"We might have to run out and retreat, but there's barely anywhere to go." He explained, pulling George away from the portal as players began stepping out of it. "Lava everywhere, easy to get cornered."

George gazed back up at the fortress, clasping onto his sword as he realized how big the thing was. It stretched through multiple biomes, the hallways already seeming like a maze from down below. 

Like Dream had said, it was big, way bigger than a normal fortress should be.

Sapnap then stepped out of the portal, placing his hands on their shoulders from behind as he brought them into some sort of hug. 

"They said to start going in George." He said, a little too cautiously as he pulled away, eyes focused on the fortress. "Everyone assigned to blazes is in already, we have to go."

George reluctantly nodded, as he pulled down his shades on his face to help see through the fog, his eyes gazing back at Dream. 

Because he wasn't coming with him. 

His job was to be stationed at the portal, ready to fight the incoming enemies that would be quick to flood in. 

George looked longingly at his friend before being brought into a comforting hug. 

One that lasted a bit longer than either would've liked to admit. 

And when they pulled away George felt some sick feeling rise in his stomach. 

"Sapnap, you better take care of George." 

He laughed tightening his bandanna. "That's going to be pretty difficult, he's too much of an idiot."

George rolled his eyes, dramatically pulling down his goggles just so his friends could see. 

Dream laughed, although it came out a little more forced than he would've liked. He gave George a reassuring smile as he looked towards the fortress.

"I'll make sure none of them reach you guys." He assured. "Just make sure you don't die to a blaze." 

"I'm not going to die to a blaze!" George retorted, crossing his arms. He didn't plan to zone out here, it was far too important for that. 

Sapnap raised an eyebrow at him, letting out a hollow chuckle. "I don't know about that George."

And they all burst into laughs. 

Fake, forced, hollow laughs. 

It was a desperate attempt to try and change the mood, one so full of uncertainty and fear. 

Fear, that was all this game revolved around. 

George and Sapnap walked over the lava bridge, George ever so slowly crossing it trying not to fall. He could feel the heat of the lava, and if it wasn't for the armor he probably would've passed out by now.