Chapter 17 - The Attack

I sit across from Zuko on his bed in his dark room. I glance up at him to see him in the same position he's been in since I came in, with his arms folded across his chest, an angry look on his face, like always. I'm about to say something when the door opens and Iroh pokes his head in. "For the last time, I'm not playing the sumki horn." Zuko says, not looking at him, irritation in his voice. "No, it's about our plans. There's a bit of a problem." Iroh replies, which makes me raise an eyebrow at him in confusion.

That's when I see Zhao enter the room behind him, making my eyes widen. As he walks into the room, his eyes meet mine for a split second, and I can tell that he's not surprised to see me here with Zuko, since he smirks. He then moves his eyes towards Zuko, his smirk widening. "I'm taking your crew." he states. "What?!" Zuko exclaims as he gets up from the bed, walking up to Zhao angrily. "I've recruited them for a little expedition to the North Pole." Zhao explains.

My eyes widen slightly at the mention of my sister tribe. My siblings and Aang must be at the North Pole for Zhao to be going on an 'expedition' there. "Uncle, is that true?" Zuko asks Iroh. "I'm afraid so. He's taking everyone." Iroh answers. "Even the cook!" he continues, putting his arm over his face in woe. "Sorry you won't be there to watch me capture the Avatar." Zhao says sarcastically to Zuko. "But I can't have you getting in my way again." he continues smugly. Zuko charges at him in anger, but Iroh prevents him from tackling Zhao. Zhao then walks over to inspect the curved broadswords on the wall of Zuko's room.

From my position on Zuko's bed I can see that seeing the swords brings back memories of the night Zuko had rescued Aang and I from him. He takes one off of the wall and in the corner of my eye, I see Zuko's scared face. His eyes wide and mouth open, clearly recognizing the danger that he's in. I gulp nervously, hoping that Zhao won't assume that Zuko wasn't the one who rescued Aang and I from him since I'm here... because if he does, I don't even want to think of what would happen to him...

"I didn't know you were skilled with broadswords, Prince Zuko." Zhao says as he turns to face Zuko again as he swings the sword in his hand around, examining the blade. "I'm not. They're antiques. Just decorative." Zuko lies. "Have you heard of the Blue Spirit, General Iroh?" Zhao asks, his hand gliding over the blade as he once again examines the blade. "Just rumors." Iroh answers. "I don't think he is real." he continues. "He's real all right." Zhao says as he walks over to us, the sword still in hand. "Isn't he?" he asks, turning to me, eyebrows furrowed.

I glare at him intensely, not wanting him to give the satisfaction of giving him a hint that Zuko is the Blue Spirit. He hands the broad sword to Iroh. "But I have a feeling that justice will catch up with him soon." Zhao continues as he moves to exit the room. "General Iroh, the offer to join my mission still stands if you change your mind." he says before he closes the door behind him.

******************************************************

Even though I was considered a prisoner to many members of Zuko's crew, there were a select few that didn't treat me like a prisoner. After Zhao had left Zuko returned to his bed, laying down, staring up at the ceiling angrily. Iroh and I look at each other before walking out of the room to say our goodbyes to the crew before they leave to help Zhao.

******************************************************

"Good luck!" One of the crew members shouts at Iroh and I from down on the dock as they start walking away from the ship to wherever Zhao had told them to go so that they could meet up with him. We then decide to go and see if Zuko will want to go for a walk with the 2 of us, but knowing him, he won't come with us.

Iroh and I get to Zuko's door and Iroh and I peek our heads into the room. Zuko is still lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling angrily. "The crew wanted me to wish you safe travels." Iroh says as I step into the room behind him. "Good riddance to those traitors." Zuko says gruffly. "It's a lovely night for a walk." Iroh states. "Why don't you join Mia and I?" he asks, gesturing to me. "It would clear your head." he finishes with a smile.